It is currently Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Essential culinary school knife set
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

I was going to put together a set for cooking school students using the new Tojiro MV knives that we recently got it. Any suggestions on what to put in it? I would especially like to know if I should include small accessories like a spoon, probe thermometer etc. I don't want to overstuff it and I would like to keep the cost down since these poor kids are going to be throwing enough money away on tuition.

Chefknivestogo on Instagram
Chefknivestogo on Twitter
Chefknivestogo on Youtube

Post subject: Re: Essential culinary school knife set
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:46 pm 

I think having two options might be the best bet. One, offering bare bones 240 chef, utility, paring, and steel. The other going full shabang, fish spat, tweezer, thermometer, micro plane, spoons, sharpie, peeler, slicer, bread knife, 210 chef, and everything in the bare bones. I'm probably forgetting something but here's a start.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 pm 

240 chef, paring, boning, bread. Steel. Anything else u really have to ask school what they don't supply and will need to bring there own. I just had to bring outfit and a 10 in and a paring

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:41 am 

For the non-knife additions, the peeler is 100% essential. A microplane is a good bet, too. A thermometer is a bit more questionable, but I would say yes. A decent electronic thermometer is dramatically better than an analogue thermometer and the CKtG thermometers are more affordable than I see them anywhere else. I still need to try the thermoprobe.

A spoon's going to be a bit hit or miss. Good spoons are extremely nice and the Richmond large spoon is very much a good spoon, but I don't know if culinary students will appreciate them. Shears are much the same. My job would be tougher without decent shears, but I don't know if they're particularly necessary for school. A fish spatula would be great if the school doesn't have them on hand, but mine did and I think that's common. Same thing with tongs. Tweezers, both fish and plating, I would probably say no. Melon baller, definitely no. Lemon zester and channel knife, hell no.

For baking and pasty students you'd have different parameters. They need more... how do I put this nicely... odds and ends than culinary students. Piping tips, brushes, pastry combs, spatulas, all sorts of stuff.

For additions you don't have on hand, a nice small notebook would be a real treat. Mine came with this knife cut cheat sheet, which I found helpful at the time. And in the interest of good habits, absolutely everyone needs a bench knife/dough scraper. They're not exactly expensive. I can see leaving it out of a set, but I'd like to see every apprentice I get walk through the door with one held high.

While most of us prefer a 240mm knife, a 210mm could be a reasonable pick for students. I would guess that's more up to the school.

I don't know if it's reasonably in such a budget, but you could consider mixing in other lines to make a better overall kit. My culinary school set had a Mercer Genesis 9" chef knife and Mercer Millenia slicer, paring knife, serrated slicer, and boning knife. The higher end chef knife made a tangible difference. I can hand a Fujiwara FKM to pretty much anyone without issue and if the MV line is anything like the Fibrox it's a big step up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:16 am 

MVS 240mm Gyuto
MVS 270mm Suji
MVS 170mm Santoku
MVS 150mm Honesuki
Richmond 80mm Paring
Kuhn Swiss peeler
Idahone Ceramic w/ sheath & super eraser
CKTG 8pc bag
CKTG stick probe
CKTG sharpie
CKTG fish tweezers

Anything else, they can buy separate. I'd want a couple spoons, offset tweezers, tomato corer and a Microplane but I wouldn't include them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 am 

A good 240 (can pull double duty slicing)
A good pairing knife (you can tourne with a normal pairing knife don't need a birds beak)
A good bread knife
Optional Knifes:
Flexible fillet knife (sorry deba's don't cut it in most culinary school approaches)
Stiff boning knife (traditional, not a honesuki)
Decent steel / hone

Necessary non-knife gear:
Peeler, Y shaped (I'm still not sure why knife kits from schools include the bad ones)
Microplane, you will use it more than you think
Fish Spat, it's more versatile than the giant mofos that most classrooms have
Plating spoons (you're fighting for equipment every where you go)
Tongs, decent ones, again if they're at a small community college, you're fighting for equipment
CKTG probe thermo
Measure Spoons
Shears
Bench Scraper
Sharpie
Notebook

(That's pretty much my knife roll for work, add in some ring molds, a few rubber spats and some offsets) and 2 extra Gyutos LOL

Not needed:
Melon ballers
Lemon Zester
Speciality items, tomato core remover, birds beak
Off set spats (while nice, you won't appreciate need them until you're on a hot line)
Palette knifes (the long flat things)
Slicers that are 10 to 12 inches, again the NEED for those is very rare, especially in class or on hot lines
Anything that is single purpose, minus a zester / mandolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:42 am 

+10 to Lepus. The idea of having two sets is good too, one with bare essentials and one with the extra and a better knife, for those who can afford/ get it as a gift. Also I think 210mm is the best for culinary students, but you can upcharge for a 240mm version.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:14 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm with Nmiller; 240, parer, and bread knife are the 3 biggest ones. Filet and boning knife may be needed as well.

The only accessories I can think of that would be relevant are a peeler, thermometer, and a good metal spatula.

And of course a knife bag for it all :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:05 pm 

How about adding a Richmond Safety Knife?

As it's been said here many times, everyone needs a 'beater' knife.

And the Safety can handle anything from splitting Chicken breasts to splitting campfire kindling...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Totally realized we got off topic, and this was supposed to be about a set with the Tojiro MVS series. I failed to look at the page and realized there's no bread knife with the kit. Unfortunately there's no more Artifex bread knife (which I actually have and prefer over the Tojiro I sold) and the remaining bread knives on the site would throw the price out of whack for the poor college students this is catering to.

I think the 240 gyuto and the 120 petty are a given. Using the 240 sujihiki in place of the bread knife could work, as well as work as a filet knife if it has any flex to it, and as a slicer too. The 270 suji is probably a little bit long for most people starting out, especially if used as a filet knife, so it's not only more expensive but possibly more impractical for this kit given the application.

240 MVS Gyuto
240 MVS Suji
120 MVS Petty

For accessories, the Richmond 8" grill spatula would be my top pick http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rigrfl.html
Then a thermometer and peeler.

The whole lot is about $150 MSRP (without knife bag or honing rod). That is a lot of bang for the buck IMO.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next