It is currently Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 7 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: frying pan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:52 pm 

I'm a home cook and I want to buy a new frying pan, but I'm a little confused about materials and coatings (stainless, ceramic, teflon, etc...).
Could someone explain to me the differences and what is more appropriate for each task?
Thank you!

Post subject: Re: frying pan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:55 pm 

That is a big question...

Stainless is probably the most user friendly. A good quality stainless can go from cook top to the oven, will heat evenly, and can be cleaned just about any way you choose to do so. That might be helpful though because stainless can be prone to sticking depending one what you are cooking.

Cast iron is the classic choice because it does so much so well. Once seasoned it is fairly non-stick, it can be used on the cook top or oven, and they heat very evenly. Unfortunately, establishing the seasoning and maintaining do require some attention to detail. Some people go so far as to recommend against using soap and water to clean. So they are not quite as convenient as stainless. They are also very heavy...

Carbon steel is fairly uncommon but is well known among foodie types. Carbon steel is basically cast iron, but lighter.

Enameled cast iron is cast iron with an enamel coating on it. These have many of the advantages of cast iron but the enameled coating is more flexible with how it is maintained. In my limited experience though, I think a well seasoned cast iron is more non-stick than my enameled cast iron. For this reason, I use my enameled cookware more for stews and the like since I don't need non-stick there.

Non-stick pans are a whole different can of worms. The traditional non-stick coatings contain compounds which may be toxic if released. The best way to avoid releasing these toxic compounds is to keep the pan temp below 500°F and to avoid using pans with physical damage to the non-stick coating. Ceramic non-stick pans are offered as a fully non-toxic alternative to the traditional non-stick coating but most reviews I've read say while the good ones are close to being as non-stick, most are still pretty bad at it.

Upshot: I own mostly stainless because it cooks well and is easy to maintain but is useless on more delicate and sticky items. I own nonstick pans that I consider disposable since any abuse makes them suspect. Luckily, good quality, nonstick pans are available from restaurant supply stores at decent prices so it doesn't hurt too much.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:54 pm 

I can also say that this topic is very large since the evolution of frying pans has exploded over the past few decades.

My main pans are All Clad Stainless and a few All Clad Non-Stick which I found out can break down at 450 degrees (I ruined a pan going from stove top to oven cooking fish). All Clad actually replaced the pan for free but the new pan had a warning not to exceed something like 425 degrees.

I have a few cast iron pans that can be had from Bed, Bath and Beyond pretty cheaply and the last one I purchased came pre seasoned. I have been using this pan for the past year and just rinse it with a plastic scrubbing pad.

Good Luck,

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:00 pm 

Ss pans are appropriate for everything that doesn't need to be non stick. Carbon and cast iron are appropriate for everything but long simmering acidic foods, like a tomato sauce. Teflon is good for a month and then becomes useless. I don't have enough experience with ceramic to comment. It's hard to imagine a perfect "one and done" but a good ss and carbon makes a great 1-2 punch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:24 pm 

Just received an 8" carbon pan from back log order created by cooks illustrated. As warned...it is heavy.
Finally got a good routine for slow cooked egg in the shell, using SS all clad sauce pan. Little less motivated to do the same with grilled egg in the carbon pan. Having said that I suspect that carbon is superior to cast iron...better seasoning retention.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:32 pm 

Couldn't ask for more help!
So... I think I should get one SS for regular use.
And for more delicate and sticky items maybe http://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Toughened ... frying+pan or do you have another sugestion?
Thank you again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:53 pm 

I'm kinda big on All Clad

http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-7112NSR2 ... +Non-Stick

They stand by their product.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:58 pm 

That Le Creuset looks like one hell of a skillet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:44 pm 

Nobody mentioned anodized aluminum. Look on eBay for old school Calphalon back when it was made in Ohio by Commercial Aluminum Cookware. It takes a keen eye to sort the diamonds from the coal but when you do you can get top notch gear at a bargain price. Not dishwasher safe though. Don't even think about it.

Things to look out for are deanodizing (from the dishwasher) and, in rare cases, warping from being put under water while hot.

They aren't billed as nonstick but I've never had trouble. And they sear almost like cast iron.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:25 am 

Rick...darn, reminds me that I was strong armed into giving away a set of anodized aluminum...though I did hide the large deep soup pan. Great lids. Magma Lite from the early 80's. Not quite as refined as the old calphalon brand. Brain autopsies from Alzheimer patients revealed higher levels of aluminum so I'm trying to use as much carbon, now...a little diversity.

Page 1 of 7 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next