It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Yahiko/Artifex BD1 N Steel HRC63 $75
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Admin

This is one of those swallow hard decisions I have to make. I can get an artifex 210mm gyuto made with BD1 N steel that should be a great knife for pro users that need good edge retention. The kicker is the minimum order is 500 knives. If I do it I can most likely price them at $75.
I'm a little worried about an order this large but honestly I think we can sell them and it's not like I'm buying produce where the stuff rots on the shelf.

Questions.

1. Do you think this would be appealing?
2. Should I use the Artifex or Yahiko brand? (I'm thinking Yahiko)

Chefknivestogo on Instagram

Post subject: Re: Yahiko/Artifex BD1 N Steel HRC63 $75
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:03 am 

BD1 N steel seems pretty good. Is it a PM? I like the Yohiko name. Will it be mono?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:22 am 

What is it going to look like, grind, handle?

Last edited by cutu on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:22 am 

Yahiko.

Same grind as the VG10 Yahiko or Artifex? The VG10 Yahiko choil shot is dead sexy...Just saying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:55 am 
Site Admin

I asked them to copy the Artifex with the same G-10 handle and same profile. I told them to sharpen at 15 degrees on each side for good work horse potential. I see this knife being a good, durable line knife.

I'm also doing the R-2 yahiko and that one will have a bolster and will be a little thinner and a little higher price for the enthusiast market.

Chefknivestogo on Instagram

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:11 am 

Great now I have even more knives on my wish list that haven't even come out yet!!! Better get a third job :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:00 am 

Is it possible to get 250 210's and 250 240's instead of 500 210's? I'm guessing it might be the kinda thing where you're getting 500 210s and waiting to see if you should get 500 240s... at 75 bucks I can see them moving pretty well

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:48 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:I asked them to copy the Artifex with the same G-10 handle and same profile. I told them to sharpen at 15 degrees on each side for good work horse potential. I see this knife being a good, durable line knife.

I'm also doing the R-2 yahiko and that one will have a bolster and will be a little thinner and a little higher price for the enthusiast market.

It sounds like artifex2 is the more suiting name for the line stylistically and price wise. And then u dont have to deal with "wish they hadnt gotten rid of the artifex line, they were an awesome value."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:54 am 

Hi Mark, I would think a 210 Artifex 2 stainless BD1N, with the G10 bolsterless handle, the usual Artifex profile, perhaps a slightly thinner true V-grind with less or no 'bump' at the top of the blade road, and good HRC 63 heat treat - would own the $75 price point. Period.

But there is a lot to get right. Why not commission one of the knife-making experts here on your site, to make you a couple prototypes you can send off to the main supplier (if the main supplier is not able or willing to supply them.). Pick one maker with excellent heat-treat knowlege, and precision heat-treat equipment.

I'm guessing that BD1N will likely be new to the supplier, and 'going by color' - is not going to cut it. And with all the Nitrogen, he may never have treated anything like it. And HRC 63 is, I believe, at the top end for BD1N. You would want to check for sure, I would think, brittleness/chipping.

Then run some actual tests on the prototype - several parallel/multiple accelerated pass-arounds for feedback on retention, sharpness capability, the profile, cutting performance, etc. You have a super resource here for real-world evaluation.

Finally, hedging the bet with 250/250 210/240 would seem prudent - if they will do it.

Use Artifex brand. Its established, and the specs fit.

Good Luck!
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 pm 

I would buy one and so would my cooks. I vote for the Artifex name, I just like it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next