It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Determining a knife value
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:09 pm 

For those who have sold knives, how do you determine the value?

Post subject: Re: Determining a knife value
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:14 pm 

Mark usually discounts knives ~20% in the closeout section, I use that as a guide. For the knives I've sold if they are used but in good to very good condition I sell for about 20% off retail. If a knife has been modified or well used, 25%+ depending on what the knife is. I might be more stingy with something high demand like a Fujiyama or TKC.

One caveat, when Mark sells a knife at retail, or on closeout for that matter, he is often covering shipping and transaction costs. So you probably do not want to charge 20% off then require the buyer to shoulder PayPal fees and shipping, it isn't a bargain for them anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mostly +1 to Cedar's post.

I once sold a knife for about 400% more than I paid.....$500 paid, $2,000 sold....but it was an original Kramer. :o

And I've sold many, many knives for more than I paid new. Those, however, are mostly bought then sold years later when the maker has become harder to get or their prices have increased or some other such reason.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:23 pm 

Thanks for the info Cedar and Adam.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:44 pm 

It's good to quantify, as best you can, how much the knife has been used, frequency, conditions, etc. Home use vs. professional use are very different, and it also depends somewhat on how many times the knife has been sharpened as well.
I usually feel that I am willing to pay for the privilege of being able to try out a knife, if only briefly.
Sometimes things can take a while to sell on the Classifieds here. If you're patient, you can wait for a while, and then gradually drop the price until you find a buyer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:34 pm 

25% doesn't seem like much of a discount for a well used knife.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:54 pm 

25% off to start seems fine for a well used knife to me. As long as it has been treated well and has not been heavily chipped and repaired at least.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 am 

I recently sold a knife at just over 15% off retail. It was lightly used and never sharpened and the person I sold it to had probably used it more than me. It was a popular higher end knife. A lot of factors go into what you can expect to get from a knife.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:18 am 

Default, it all depends on context. I said 25%+. I have sold knives as much as 30-40% off and would go higher if it seemed fair to do so.

The percentages are just starting points. Ultimately the question is a two part one: 1) what am I willing to part with a knife for; and 2) what would a fair price to buy a knife for. The seller should pick a price that is equal to or greater than #1 and less than #2.

Hopefully there is room between the two numbers to cover shipping, transaction costs, and a little wiggle room for negotiation. As happens frequently, sellers pull items where the demand does not match the value of the item to them.

Right now as a matter of fact I have a stone sitting in the classifieds. It is a low demand but high value item. I feel the price is fair but it will take the right buyer for it to move, so I either need to resolve myself to waiting or pull it and give up. So even here, the raw numbers game is not the only consideration.

All depends....

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]