It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Takamura R2 210mm Pass Around, list / thread.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:43 pm 

Starting with:

JMcNelly85
Lepus
Dan_Crubenew
Whosthebestcop
Salemj

The last two guys are on vacation this month hence the list the way it is. I will be dropping this off to JMcNelly85 either today or tomorrow to start the list.
I will PM you the address of the person your shipping it to next on the list.

Post subject: Re: Takamura R2 210mm Pass Around, list / thread.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:45 pm 

Alright! Looking forward to trying this knife out and offering thoughts, Thanks Nmiller21k!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:49 pm 

PMs have been sent with shipping information, glad I can share the wealth :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 pm 

This has officially started. Knife was dropped off this afternoon, I hope we can get some good reviews from those that are participating.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 am 

I'll start off with some initial impressions on this knife. Met miller earlier and the first thing out of my mouth was "wow, that's a beautiful handle." The knife is finished with a no frills, utilitarian feel while still having a very elegant presentation. This is a very impressive tool. I told Miller I wouldn't use this knife at work because some of my coworkers can be a little "droppy" at times. I'm willing to risk it with my knives, but I would feel terrible if some buffoon damaged this neat little knife. My biggest curiosity on the knife beforehand was its sharpenability as I was intimidated by the PM steel. As carefully as I could to maintain the original bevel angle, I did a quick touch up on this knife and my kohetsu blue 2 doing an exact progression (green brick-shapton pro 5k) and ended up amazed that it was no more difficult to sharpen. The original edge wasn't in need of a major rehaul so maybe if I were raising a bevel on some low grit stones the difference might appear, but I felt that treatment wasn't necessary. The blade feels very comfortable in hand, the handle feels half the size of the kb2 and it's balance point is slightly closer to the blade than the kb2 right at the pinch grip heel spot. I'm really looking forward to putting this to food to reveal the beast inside this beauty.

I just want to thank Miller again for his generosity in allowing a bunch of strangers try out something as personal as a cooks beloved knife. I will do my best to be good to her, and wish you the best of luck in recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:28 pm 

I'm sending this off to lepus today and I'll put some final thoughts of this knife. The knife is so unbelievably light and balanced for a western handle that I am forever envious of it for massive prep days. For as thin as it is it's not very sticky, stuck potatoes fall off with a gentle flick and don't need the second hand to force them off. I can't speak highly enough about how comfortable and easy to use this knife is, it seems to want to move through product on its own. In comparison to my beloved kohetsu blue 2, it is in a different league. I strongly recommend this knife to anyone and might pick one up for my fiancee because she loved the knife too. Looking forward to what lepus has to say.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:32 pm 

I bought a bag of onions yesterday. I feel french onion soup coming on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:59 pm 

I'm glad that another professional cook sees this in the light that I do :)
It's... just wow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:34 pm 

An awesome knife it is.

The quality knives I've used stay ingrained in my thoughts a lot better than the ones that didn't perform as well. This knife in particular, I can remember every bit of it. Really a stellar performer.

Awesome that you are doing a passaround with this one Miller. I hope you aren't missing it too much. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a little warm up for what you're going to try.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next