It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Co-worker ready to join the darkside
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:15 am 

A very friendly and respectful co-worker has been asking me about my knives for the past couple weeks. My Shun's exterior finish is no longer the prettiest thing on the planet due to it being washed in a sink full of other knives (thanks Dad!)

I decided to let her use it for the entire shift. She was blown away by how much better it was than house knives and knives she uses at home.

Felt good to show someone how fun cooking can be when the proper tools are used. I just hope this isn't expected of my "pretties."

Anyone else converted someone from trash knives to fine japanese cutlery?

Post subject: Re: Co-worker ready to join the darkside
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:40 pm 

Lunatic wrote:...
Anyone else converted someone from trash knives to fine japanese cutlery?

Not yet, but I plan to on Mother's day. Mom is asking for a new utility knife and I've got my eye on a few options.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:53 pm 

I always get questions and comments from coworkers and friends about cutlery. I have converted most employees I encounter (other than the sushi bar). Many of which are unprepared for the amount of maintenance required for Japanese knives. If you own a knife, it is maintained with a stone, if you own a stone, it is maintained with another stone or diamond plate, if someone commits to a japanese blade it amounts to much more than a single knife purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:13 pm 

I really enjoy not saying anything at all and allowing friends to explore their own curiosity when they see that I'm using something different from the big brands they are familiar with. Curiosity --> Awe --> Fear --> Desire, seems to be the typical progression of emotions felt by friends that explore my knives. A few of them are definitely converted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:29 am 

I've converted people who have borrowed my knife and having used it never wanted to use a line knife again. I sharpen his 'new' knife in exchange for beer. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:45 am 

I have converted several, one that comes to mind though was a co-op student turned full time empoloyee and now apprentice, he started with us maybe 2 years ago and now has a collection almost as big as mine, from knives to stones to strops to everything in between, he was hooked after his very first one! lol. I still enjoy helping him to improve his sharpening technique and providing my 2cents on what the next purchase either of us will make from our friendly internet crack dealer! (thanks mark for feeding our habit...)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]