It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Q: 6 How did you learn about knives?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

When creating your inventory, what resources did you turn to in order to learn more about knives and other kitchen tools?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Q: 6 How did you learn about knives?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

At first I was ignorant about kitchen knives so I just attempted to get the largest, most popular brands on the market at that time. Our first brands we retailed were Global, Wusthof, Henckels, Kyocera and Messermeister.

I got most of my knowledge about knives from my customers. About 4-5 years ago I noticed there were some good forums that were talking about knives so I started reading them, participating and asking them what they wanted. It seems like a logical thing to do now but asking my customers what they wanted has become the absolute key and turning the store into a cool place to shop. I get tips and suggestions every day about what stuff to add.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:13 pm 

Working in kitchens and being around knives all the time helped me figure out what i looked for in a knife as well as a general knowledge on the variety. I had used a variety of the typical henckels, shuns, etc. A TON of kiwi and dexter-russel. Honestly though, it wasnt until i found this site that i realized the sheer volume of manufacturers. It opened doors!
This forum and a handful like it have probably taught me the most about knives.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:21 pm 

Was given a victorinox chefs as a gift and cut off the end of my finger within 20 seconds of use. It was so much sharper than what I had been using that my timing was all off. Anyway, I was blown away by the possibilities if this was only a $25 knife.

I then found this site when looking into shuns, and found a world I didn't know existed. No looking back since, I'm a full on fanatic with knives now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:47 pm 

The first knife I personally owned came to me via a 9-ball wager during my high-school days. I walked away from that game with a Wusthof santoku and thought I had scored but the performance was always lacking compared to the Japanese knives my family in Japan used. For years I hopped between many popular brands but couldn't put my finger on what exactly kept me searching for something better. Working in kitchens just exposed me to even more unsatisfying knives and increased my desire to acquire better knives.

Years later during a trip to Japan to visit family, I was determined to buy a good Japanese knife but didn't know anything about them. I ended up bringing home a couple of decent knives but still didn't have any knowledge about what I was getting into so a quick web search led me to CKTG where I was able to gobble up info and made me regret not finding the site before my trip to Japan. Since then most of my education on knives has come from the CKTG forums. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:11 pm 

I used the kitchen section of knifeforums.com and got some fantastic advice from one of the members on which essential knives I needed to start my collection and sharpening tips. This is long before this forum opened up. I was advised to purchase the Artifex and that led me to your site. I watched your videos and learned how to sharpen with your method. I was given the link to some other videos but yours have been the easiest to follow for me. Thanks, Mark!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:22 pm 

Elizabeth wrote:I used the kitchen section of knifeforums.com and got some fantastic advice from one of the members on which essential knives I needed to start my collection and sharpening tips. This is long before this forum opened up.

I started over at In The Kitchen as well. I took a hiatus for a while and returned to find things a bit slow over there. I still check it but this place is livelier at present.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:15 am 

I came to CKTG looking for stones and had my mind blown with the knife selection. All the great people on this forum helped me start learning about the world beyond my wusthofs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:33 pm 

CKTG has been the principle source for information and purchases.

I discovered CKTG when I sought out some good knives to get my brother and his wife for their wedding. I was familiar with what was available at retail location, and decided that all the knives their seemed a bit pedestrian, with Shun taking an honorable but too expensive mention.

I found the 3pc Tojiro set, but didn't really understand what VG-10 was. So I studied knife steel composition a bit. This was mostly done outside of the forum, but ultimately used the forum as the authority for information about japanese steel.

I purchased a few whetstones and watched repeatedly all the sharpening videos for noobs, tons of Kens Nubatama review videos, and whatever other videos I could gobble up. So many artful styles!

Through forum discussions I have made choices for many knife purchases.

I find myself reading this forum daily as a way stay current and continue my education, and recently made the transition for lurker to contributor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 pm 

I thought my 25cm Victorinox Chef knife was an awesomely sharp knife when I got it. It was the best knife I owned. Wanting to take good care of it I started to research the best way to sharpen knives and found CKTG. My wallet has been much thinner ever since.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next