It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Milkwood restaurant
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:22 pm 

My wife and I recently took some furniture to Kentucky for a client and made a stop in Louisville. We decided to check out Eddie Lee's restaurant "Milkwood". The atmosphere was super chill. Friendly staff that actually engaged with us and told us all about the place. It was our first trip to the south and we had to try some southern food. We enjoy Asian flavors so naturally we chose this place to kill two birds with one stone. We ate off the "dim sum" menu which was basically small plates made to order. We shared a ribeye and dessert, though I liked the offerings of small plates best. Good meal and good experience, but I just don't find myself liking southern foods. I got a chance to talk to his sous and see the kitchen. The building is old as hell so most of the walls are white painted brick with pipes running all over. The sous was friendly and made it worth while to go take a look. All in all a great experience. We got to have four small plates, an entree, two a la carte sides, and dessert for under 100$. My favorite plates were the gnocchi with buffalo short rib, which was more of a fried mashed potato ball instead of a dumpling, and the grilled shrimp with corn congee. We bought a bottle of his signature Milkwood hot sauce which is like a sambas mixed with tapatio and a dash of fish sauce. Pretty damn good. I also got to try sorghum which since watching mind of a chef I've been so intrigued to try. I liked it. Like an earthy honey/syrup. Kentucky is quite beautiful and I'd definitely go to Milkwood again.

Post subject: Re: Milkwood restaurant
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:04 pm 

"I just don't find myself liking southern foods"

Out of curiosity, what comes to mind when you say southern cuisine doesn't appeal to you? I'm a southerner, but I can't say I am super partisan, just curious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:31 pm 

Corn bread, grits, collards, certain barbecues. We tried a bunch of barbecue and I only liked the one from Pappy's in St. Louis. I do like barbecue and respect the craft, but I like famous daves. Don't hate me for that. We also stopped at the Moonlite restaurant in Owensboro Kentucky and tried mutton. Not horrible but not my fave. They had some other sides I wasn't a huge fan of. And something called burgoo( vegetable and burger stew). I don't know man, just s couple of standards that I wanted to try but wasn't too thrilled. I know there's much more to it but those things you associate with age old southern cuisine didn't wow me. It's not off the table or anything and I'd love to try more but what I had I didn't care for.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:33 pm 

You didn't crap on my sacred cows EXCEPT cornbread. I've been known to put away some cornbread.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:03 pm 

:0 Sorry man. I've some good cornbread. I just didn't have any in my trip. They were all a little stiff. I like mine more cakey and crumbly. With lots of butter and syrup! I should have asked you if you knew any good places along our route. I still really enjoyed trying things and Milkwood for sure though. Met some nice people too

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm 

Grits can be SUPER Delicious or extremely bland, dull and gross. It's all in the prep. Alot if grits u get in some country kitchens can be the latter but don't write them off when a chef is working with them. And corn bread come on man, u gotta like corn bread jk. Actually, it can be dry and uninviting or a rich moist delicious savory, sweet cake like morsel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:27 pm 

There's a place called Lilly's in Louisville that's pretty awesome. If I ever find myself around there again that will be on the agenda for sure. I would recommend it to anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:27 am 

Best southern food I've ever had was this little soul food kitchen in New Orleans. If you fly someplace, ask the cab driver. Never had one steer me wrong.

I'm definitely not southern, but cornbread is my spirit animal.

FWIW, my husband was really disappointed in the barbecue the last time he went to Kentucky on business. I'm going to have to recommend Lilly's to him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:15 am 

If you are ever in Nashville TN, I like two places for good Southern food: Monell's and Arnold's Country Kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:00 pm 

I like polenta in a multitude of preparations. Maybe bbq in KY just isn't that great...idk. I'd love to go down to Memphis and try that style as well. As I said I'm not a bbq know it all and couldn't tell you what's best either, I just know what I like. I have to find collards that I actually like though, cuz it hasn't happened yet and I refuse to give up!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next