It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do you get involved in pass arounds?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:20 pm 

It seems like they're all done and over with when I read them

Post subject: Re: How do you get involved in pass arounds?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:30 am 

Continue to be an active member in the community here and be patient. The rest should work itself out.
When you see a new Passaround starting, mention that you're interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:27 am 

There is usually one or two pass arounds going on at any moment. But many pass arounds take weeks or even months to wrap up. So a pass around gets spun up once every few weeks or so.

To get in, keep active on the forum. Pass arounds are there to increase the knowledge base of the forum so the spirit and rules of the pass arounds are aimed at active membership.

People offering up their gear will post the pass around on the pass around subforum. For most knives, you can sign up for a week or so. Some high demand knives will "fill up" very quickly....often there is a limited number of slots because the knives/gear belong to someone and they want their stuff back....in many cases, they make a living with their gear so then NEED it back.

That brings us to the last point, be a good citizen. Mark offers up kit on a pretty regular basis but most of the gear floating around out there is someones personal property. The pass arounds will evaporate very quickly if someone were to abuse the privilege.

The two threads at the top are the currently active threads: pass-arounds-f71.html. More will come along.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi Spencer,

Usually I'll announce them here and you can sign up by just posting that you're interested. There is often a minimum amount of posts (typically 100) before you can be allowed to get in on the pass around but you'll pass that mark soon enough.

I think the next one I'm going to send out is the Shigefusa santoku. They're kind of rare so that would be a good one to check out. I don't have the knife in hand yet so once it shows up I'll do it. Look for it in a week or two.

Chefknivestogo on Instagram
Chefknivestogo on Twitter
Chefknivestogo on Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:42 am 

FWIW, there was a flurry of pass-arounds recently, but it has abated significantly in last 6-9 months from what I remember. Aside from what folks said previously, just a matter of timing. Personally, I really enjoyed the opportunity to sample other's knives, and I offered up some of mine as well. The only bummer thing is the shipping cost. Is it worth it to you to sample a knife for $15-20 (I am sure it can also be more or less for others, depending on shipping destination and insurance) a pop? For a number of knives, the answer was yes for me. But you can see how it adds up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:46 pm 

Patience? Who has time for patience? Sounds good. I guess just check frequently and remain vigilant. Does a "post" mean a topic that I post or just a posted message on whatever?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 pm 

Below your screen name these is a post count listed. At the moment, your is 73. That is how many times you have posted a comment on the forum, either a new thread or a comment in an existing thread.

The 100 post rule is just a proxy for active and participating member. It makes sure that the intel gleaned from the knife comes back at us but it also is a small insurance policy for the knife being returned to its owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:45 pm 

Ya totally get it. I think it's awesome and as much as the shipping costs may add up I'd love to rent a knife and see if like it enough to buy one myself. Where else can you do that?! What a great opportunity to try different styles and finishes and whatever else. I don't mind passing mine around either. I never use them all at the same time anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:50 pm 

People who put items out on passaround usually get "priority status" for lack of a better term on the next one. Might not always be the case but it usually is.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]