It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Heiji Knives
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:26 pm 

Anyone ever used a Heiji? On some other forums, I hear a lot of comparisons to Kato being made. I sure wouldn't mind having a knife that performs like a Kato but is semi-stainless in my block....

Post subject: Re: Heiji Knives
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:27 am 

I own a Heiji, a 210 Santoku semi stainless. Never tried a Kato.
The Heiji is a great knife, though very different from my other Japanese knives. It has a relatively thick spine, and is very stiff. However because of the wide bevels, it is extremely thin behind the edge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:25 am 

Thanks Portland. sounds fairly close to a Kato in concept, but not following on the bevel front. That said, I'm quickly learning that I need to be spending more time on the sharpening forum as most of the knives I'm using have very unique grinds behind the edge and differences between lower blade bevel and edge bevel are completely unique to each (meaning all of them are going to Korin again soon to correct my edge work vs. blade bevel). That said, not sure I follow your wide bevel comment and thinness behind the edge. Not an indictment as I'm happy to chalk my question to my own ignorance, but the two seem a bit incongruous.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 am 

I believe the intended meaning is that the bevel is very large as in tall, going high up the blade. So the angle can be less and it can be thinner behind the edge. A narrower (shorter on the blade) bevel would be blunter.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]