It is currently Sun May 01, 2016 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Baby's First Takeda
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:58 am 

A few months ago I made a post in the recommendation sub about a 210mm knife, primarily for home use. I wanted, more than anything else, something enjoyable to use. I considered quite a few options, but nothing really struck me as being quite right, so I decided to wait and see if anything else popped up. And, lo and behold, a few weeks ago there it was on the classifieds. A medium Takeda Sasanoha at a good price, and then a drop to a ridiculous price. This would be a relatively blind purchase for me. I'd never used a Takeda before. They are said to be divisive, and his short heeled knives don't get as much press as the mammoth standard design. But the price was too good and the potential to perfectly fill my request too great. I pulled the trigger.

The knife arrived. The box is... startlingly ugly, wearing the same washed out color scheme as the bad parts of Miami, thirty years faded. The knife itself doesn't seem quite as composed as some of the other knives I had considered, particularly the Koishi, which wears the same clothes at a lower price. The tang is sealed rather heavyhandedly. The kurouchi is blemished near the handle as part of its manufacture. It has a little spot on one side of the grind near the heel that is a little overground, though thankfully quite high up. And none of that matters at all because I am thoroughly in love with this knife.

The knife has character. Loads. In hand it's on the extreme end of light and thin. It cuts like a knife with a thin zero ground edge is supposed to cut and the Takeda grind drops food like a bad habit. And most importantly it's an extremely fun knife that has an air of care in its craftsmanship. I get the impression the Takeda heart is not for show.

This is in no way yet a review. I have many, many miles to go with this knife before I can give it a final stamp. But there is no doubt whatsoever that the knife is what I was after. All aboard the Takeda train.

Post subject: Re: Baby's First Takeda
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:57 am 

Nice post Lepus. A new love is always exciting. I've been considering this exact knife as well. You've only furthered my interest in one day adding this blade to my block. Good buy! I'm looking forward to the full review in a few months. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:19 am 

Does it have flex?
I was considering what was probably that knife or a new one when I asked for opinions. The idea of flex turned me off. Everything else sounds great.
His regular gyuotos look far too much like sanktokus for my taste. For whatever reason no santoku feels right and a Takeda costs far too much to risk it.

Have fun putting it through its paces.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:08 pm 

Glad it found a loving home :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:48 pm 

I grabbed one of these in the classifieds recently as well (mine is stainless, as I think yours is too). I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Still not ready for a review, but I can say that I often go for it because of its odd mix of positive and negative idiosyncrasies, rather than despite them, which I think is pretty close to your new love affair as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:54 am 

"The box is... startlingly ugly..."

Agreed, but the innards of make up for it in spades.

The knife itself left such a complicated impression on me that to this day I'm somewhere between mystified and perplexed.  When I think back to my time with one it often feels like a dream-state.  I even reread my review occasionally and still find myself wondering what the hell I missed..  That knife has a long story to tell.

Looking forward to your review good sir, regardless of time frame.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:01 pm 

I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts. One of these days when the stars align I'll pull the trigger myself and it will most likely be the Sassy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:08 pm 

Ourorboros: Yes, it definitely has a lot of flex. The spine is only 1.4mm thick over the heart and tapers thinner.

Joe, mine is indeed the stainless Sasanoha from Nick. I suspect you grok what I grok. And I suspect it's the easiest way for someone who has tried other knives at its price point to love these knives.

I want to circle back around to the box, though, because every time I see it I'm amazed the design was unleashed on the world. I dearly hope it's related to some style of Japanese artwork.

To be clear, I actually like it, but if I didn't like the knife I don't think I would feel the same way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:29 pm 

I had one and hated it...idk why I wanted to like it soon bad just recently traded it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:12 pm 

I have the "210" regular one. I love it!! It immediately felt as if it was an extension of my hand from the first time I picked it up! Welcome to the club :P

Cedarhouse wrote his review on mine way back when.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next