It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Masashi VS1
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:29 pm 

Hi all,

Never posted before, but I've perused these forums long enough to know you guys are probably the best people to ask ;-)
I've been considering knife #2 (a purchase for the distant future), and came across this line of knives - the Masashi VS1 Tsuchime - and while I do like the look, I can't seem to find any reviews about them at all, or the VS1 steel.
From what I've found it seems that Masashi knives have a generally good reputation, but I was wondering if any of you here have more specific thoughts on either the line or the steel?

Much obliged :D

Chris

Site:
http://knifewear.com/collections/masashi-vs1-tsuchime

Post subject: Re: Masashi VS1
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:13 pm 

I am not a moderator on this forum but this is not a general knife forum so I think it's kinda rude to be asking for info on a brand that's from another supplier - and any negative comments might be construed as prejudiced

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:28 pm 

I'm no moderator either but a handful of people here might have some info on them. Out of curiousity, what are you looking for in a second knife, chances are we can help you find something.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 pm 

Antonio_Luiz wrote:I am not a moderator on this forum but this is not a general knife forum so I think it's kinda rude to be asking for info on a brand that's from another supplier - and any negative comments might be construed as prejudiced

This is obviously meant to be a respectful comment, so I don't want to belittle it at all, especially since I think the spirit of the post is positive even if it seems discouraging. However, I will add that, in my experience, people do openly discuss other knives on this forum. I don't have any experience with this line, but I hope someone else chimes in.

It is unfortunate that some of these knife forums have become so "closed" in this sense. My general feeling is that discussing knives that correspond to a Japanese maker are beneficial to everyone, including Mark, but that discussing knives that are clearly under a house name (like Richmond is to Mark), regardless of who the smith is, is perhaps a little less welcome. In this case, the question seems to relate to a Japanese smith, and if there is obvious positive feedback, I can see Mark potentially discussing future business with this smith, even if the current knife in question is one that is specific to Knifewear.

But perhaps I'm being too optimistic in my appraisal...I stand to be corrected.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:42 pm 

Oops. I admit the thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

If I've crossed a line in any way, I apologize, and if I could find the particular VS1 knives in question on... well, literally any other page with a Google search, then I would - but they seem to have no presence outside of Knifewear at all.

Perhaps someone who is a mod will let me know if I've erred :(

@jmecnelly85, I'm only toying with the idea of picking up a nakiri to complement my Yuki gyuto. I expect many people would say that a petty is probably more practical, but something about a nakiri just looks fun to me ;) either way, certainly won't have the budget for it for at least a few months. Just window shopping for now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

As far as I can remember, we've been pretty open about discussing other brands here. Generally this only applies to knives that CKTG doesn't carry, because if CKTG does carry them then they are already likely being sold at the lowest allowable market price set by the maker.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:13 pm 

themieux --> Welcome and no harm no foul. Discussing other brands available from other retailers has never been a problem here. In fact it has helped to bring some popular lines here because of said discussions. We do our best not to discriminate and talk all things knives here regardless of where they are purchased. Sorry though that I can't help you with any first hand knowledge of this brand or steel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:25 pm 

Thanks for the replies, guys. Hope no toes have been stepped on.

Fingers crossed someone's heard something about these.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

No toes or fingers have been stepped on in any way. :)

The only things we don't allow are arguing and politics, which usually go hand in hand.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:12 pm 

That's a relief. I hate arguing about politics ;)

Sidenote, your videos are very informative. Thanks for putting in the time!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next