It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What is it about J knives that's so addicting?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:57 am 

Recently in the last couple of months, I've found myself strangely "addicted" to cooking/prepping with J knives, as well as collecting. I just really enjoy the way they look and feel. What is it for you guys? Is it the aesthetics, construction/building, cooking, collecting, etc.? What draws YOU in? :mrgreen:

I'm especially curious to hear from those who have been posting on the site for awhile.

Post subject: Re: What is it about J knives that's so addicting?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:29 am 

These two threads speak to what you are talking about:
what-have-i-become-t5112.html
thoughts-from-a-convert-t5745.html

For me JKs demand a lot of respect and effort from their users and the return on the investment is aesthetic and functional elegance and a high quality visceral experience in the kitchen and that doesn't even include the fun I have being a part of the community here...

Sorry, sappy $h1t outta the way, CAUSE THEY'RE SHARP, DANGEROUS, SHINY THINGS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:51 am 

For me, it's about the learning process and evolving appreciation of a thing that can be used/consumed/enjoyed everyday. Same reason why I'm a wine-nut. Both fine wine and fine knives are things that elevate the otherwise mundane into something truly enjoyable and intellectually and physically challenging.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:51 am 

For me its kind of a 'you get out what you put in' type of thing. If you take care of your carbon steel knives (including sharpening) you get a kitchen utensil that blows everything else in the kitchen away :lol: I appreciate what went into hand making all of my knives and try to live up to that effort in maintaining and using them. I feel the same about my razors...put in the effort in and reap the rewards :)

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:22 am 

Just wait until you get into razors. I think everyone should drive a metaphoric sports car....it beats the crap out of a Kia...its fun to tweak, shine and take care of. Whats not to like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:50 am 

I've had the experience of using Japanese chisels and hand planes for the past 35+ years thanks to Fred from Japan Woodworker in Alameda and I haver had the experience of comparing the Japanese steel edges vs European and American steels and I am sold on the Japanese craftsmanship.

Use a chisel or hand plane and watch the sharpness and edge retention over time and the decision is easy.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:12 am 

For me, it's about the tradition and history that started with sword making. Modern day knives are functional works of art.
I've read about how smith's tried to incorporate nature into the process, imbue swords with different personalities, etc.
I like the respect that goes into it. The intent. The quality. The sharpness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 am 

I love the blade history thing, the wood and now that I have a young one, no time to eat out so I may as well do better at home! All Clad and J knives for me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:07 am 

cedarhouse wrote:These two threads speak to what you are talking about:
what-have-i-become-t5112.html
thoughts-from-a-convert-t5745.html

Oh, man! Is this my future?? :lol: I'm already well into it my 5th knife and it's only been a few months. It's really interesting to hear all of your thoughts. All of your answers are so poetic. Can I just say I like chopping things? :mrgreen:

No, but really though, like some of you mentioned, I enjoy the learning, maintaining/sharpening, and all of the care that leads up to the actual awesome experience of using the knives. It's really something else! I never really thought about the history of sword making and its influence on modern day knives, but you can definitely respect and appreciate what goes into the making of these knives -- the craftsmanship, family pride, generations of experience, the handed-down lessons. All of it! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 pm 

What is it about J knives is so addicting? EVERYTHING
A couple years ago I came to CKTG to buy a couple of sharpening stones to maintain my knives. 12 knives and 17 stones later I'm still on the prowl! :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next