It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kohetsu ZDP189
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:45 am 
Site Admin

This is kind of a petition. Would you like to see the Kohetsu line be expanded to include some ZDP189 knives? I'll be showing this to Dr. O who can make it happen...

Chefknivestogo on Instagram

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu ZDP189
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:03 am 

Let me turn the question back around and ask why would someone choose ZDP over HAP40? Would the ZDP knife be more expensive?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:38 am 

My initial thought would be yes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:23 pm 

As a home cook I do not see much advantage in ZDP-189 since edge retention is not much of a concern. In a commercial environment that would be different. I think the above question regarding its comparison to HAP40 is valid. Also, how are the current sales of ZDP-based knives going compared to HAP40, or even R2? I would suspect they would be higher priced, so what unmeet need in your line up would these address?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:09 pm 

I love my hap40. But a super hard all stainless would be cool. I'm one of those wierdo people who really like r2 and hap40 I've never had zdp189. I've used one of my buddies but never sharpend it. Was a yoshihiro and a cool/good performer. I wouldn't say it performed better than my kohetsu tho.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 pm 

I'm on the fence about it, if it were a good price it's definitely intriguing. It definitely is an intimidating prospect thinking "if I buy this knife, how much in stones will I have to invest to get good use"

Wait, that might apply to all knives. Yeah, go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 pm 

The kohetsus seem to thrive in a pro environment. I agree with Craig about zdp ina home environment,but i think the zdp would be a great addition to that line for pros. Often when people recommend that line it is to pros.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 pm 

The kohetsus seem to thrive in a pro environment. I agree with Craig about zdp ina home environment,but i think the zdp would be a great addition to that line for pros. Often when people recommend that line it is to pros.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:48 pm 

I have to disagree with most here. I've never tried ZDP, so my opinion shouldn't count for much, but I honestly don't see the point.

I guess my main feeling/logic is that ZDP seems to be a steel that is still a bit beyond the Richmond price-to-performance ratio. Most lines that I have seen of this steel are more expensive and "boutique" in more ways than one. While Mark might be able to offer a cheaper alternative that works great, it seems like it would still be a lot of extra money for only marginal extra performance, which is not really the game/theatre of Mark's other products. I feel like a better offering in something like Ginsan might actually appeal to more people, if done well (in addition to the R2 idea already in the works). Stainless that works well is still a huge bonus for a lot of people (ZDP would fit into this category, of course), and while ginsan doesn't offer the same extremes as ZDP, it has plenty of other advantages, especially in the hands of a talented smith (such as the Takayuki smith). Perhaps steering away from the mono-steel ginsan and pushing toward something by a different smith would work this time around. It also seems easier to find a smith that can do a great job with ginsan than finding one that is tried and true with ZDP.

Just some thoughts. Obviously, I support trying to diversify and bring more to the market. But I also think that there is probably a "zone" for Richmond products that serves both the business and the public, and it seems like ZDP might still be a bit outside of that zone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:05 pm 

What's the price tag on a 240 lookin' like? That's the deciding factor for me.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next