It is currently Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thinning an old knife
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:31 pm 

I've had a mcusta pro for about years being used in a restaurant kitchen. I've been trying to thin it with an edge pro and I've had decent success. The issue is it doesn't stay sharp for long. I tend to sharpen it every couple days (yes my knife gets alot of work). I'm curious if it's possible it's just gotten too thick behind the edge and is time to retire it and get a carbon knife as well as if I'm thinning it wrong.

I thin about 3 degrees behind what I would make the final angle which is 18 degrees.

The steel is molybdenum vanadium, so stainless.

Post subject: Re: Thinning an old knife
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

If you're using that knife for work I'm not surprised it needs touching up every couple days. That would be what I would expect from a MV steel knife like your mcusta or a global. Also thinning the knife will make it cut better and it will also make it hold an edge worse. By thinning it you're making the edge steeper and there is less steel to support the edge so it will roll and degrade more quickly. Since you know how to sharpen I think that's not such a bad trade off. If you want the edge to last longer on this particular knife I would recommend you widen the edge by putting a micro bevel on it.

Chefknivestogo on Instagram
Chefknivestogo on Twitter
Chefknivestogo on Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:16 pm 

I've had different results from retention after thinning. A knife in need of thinning requires more force through product, resulting in harder board contact. After thinning, a lighter approach can be used and the life of an edge can actually last longer in use.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:06 am 

Than I guess it's time to upgrade Mark. After learning to sharpen I can't take anything less than "really sharp at all times" for my knives. Guess I'm waiting for that konosuke bunka to be in stock... Hint hint...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]