It is currently Mon May 30, 2016 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: How much Tax in France (for Sharpening Stones)
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:00 am 

Does anyone know how much tax is taken in France for sharpening stones?

Post subject: Re: How much Tax in France (for Sharpening Stones)
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 am 

I don't. But I do know that taxes in France are high, but they are not that much higher than other places with a VAT, and usually within 10% of the total combined taxes you would pay in the US. VATs do add to the price, but France's unique reputation has more do with other taxes; as you can see in the link, their VAT rates are not the highest, nor are they far from the median:

For example: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/ ... -in-europe

They also have "soldes," or sale days, usually in June, as well as at least one "tax-free" day a year, and if you are traveling, you can get a tax refund for a large portion of the VAT at the airport (you'll need all your receipts, etc—just ask for the paperwork when you buy the product). Keep in mind that "high taxes" in other countries appear in many different ways. I don't think Canada has a VAT, but our combined taxes on goods are still very high...they just are added rather than "hidden" (like a VAT); in the US, high sales taxes, shipping, etc., can all add 10% or more to the price, so factor that in if you're price-comparing. All I'm trying to say is that, after years of playing the tax game while abroad, I think for smaller purchases, it isn't worth the effort unless you are really penny-pinching, especially if it is the difference between being able to buy something in-hand versus having to mail order in the US.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]