It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 1K6 Steel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone have experience using knives with 1K6 steel? It's supposed to be pretty good stainless steel but I don't know if I've tried it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 1K6 Steel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:41 pm 

I have a Kai Tan-Ren Suji in 1K6 Daido. It sharpens up pretty well, but not something to write home about.l Though I am just a home cook and it doesn't see that much board time.

Post subject: Re: 1K6 Steel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 pm 

If I remember well the steel is the same as with the KAI Wasabis, and I found it frankly unpleasant to sharpen. Hard to raise a burr, hard to get rid of it, some plasticity: huge carbides I suspect. Compared to this stuff sharpening Global's Cromova and VG-10 is just fun.
One 'positive' point though: the abrasion resistance is phenomenal, as I've experienced when removing numerous micro-chips. Of course, all these points may be due to some poor heat treatment by KAI.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]