It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Count Down to Devin Thomas Damascus Gyutos
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Devin and I first started talking about this a year ago and now we're only 60 days out from our 10th year anniversary for CKTG (August 15th).

I'm going to post updates to this thread as I get them. Here is what is going on presently. The plan is for 20 Damascus 240 gyutos in the ITK profile. We are going to do a wide variety of looks with these knives. I have purchased and shipped all wood blocks to him which I hand selected from a big pile I got from Burl Source. I seem to remember curly koa, amboynia burl, spalted maple and redwood etc going out to him.

Devin is going to do many different combinations of damascus patterns with different core steel. I basically gave him free reign over what he wanted to do. I don't usually try and micro manage guys I consider artists and Devin is an artist.

I'll be gently bugging him every week for updates and I'll post them here as the knives start to come together. He wrote me today that the handles are about 80% done and the Damascus is about 40% done. A good start I think.

Please feel free to ask me lots of questions and poke me about updates. I can't wait for these to arrive and I'm taking the best one for myself. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Count Down to Devin Thomas Damascus Gyutos
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Wow...I'm really looking forward to seeing all of them. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 pm 

These should be awesome :o

Chris D. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:17 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm much more curious about 210mm ITK, or rather I'm only curious about the 210. ;) As you know from my email queries, Mark, this knife has left me watching and waiting for it to be back in stock. http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/chefknivestogo_2207_27009097 For personal knowledge, do you know the chin to spine dimension on the 210 ITK profile, and what wood is the handle made from in the attached link? Do you think you'll be receiving any 210's like the photo-link?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:38 am 
Forum Moderator

...will there be a K390 core??????

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rookie,

I believe he will be doing a few with K390.

I just got off the phone with Devin and he's moving along with the knives. He's going to do 3 part handles with ivory spacers and all the nice wood I sent him. They should look really nice. He's also going to concentrate on all wa-handled knives. He wants to bring these in at a reasonable cost and making all of the same style will save him time and us money. He's still making damascus for this order of 20 and once he's done he'll start the production process of cutting, grinding, etching and installing the handles. We're still on track for mid August.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:05 pm 

Sounds very cool. Congrats on the up and coming 10 year anniversary, it's one day before my birthday :)

Are these going to have a special logo signifying the anniversary ? I would assume so...

I may even be interested in a k390 core knife myself :)

take care

Brian

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]