It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What other knives share the Masamoto KS profile?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:33 am 

Okay, I know that my Moritaka KS is a pretty close "replica" of the Masamoto KS. And I know the Ultimatum shares the same profile, albeit perhaps a little bit thicker. What other knives have that same shape? Is the Konosuke Funyaki pretty much like the KS or is it more influenced by the Carter?

I ask because so far the best cutting Wa I have is my Moritaka KS, and I find the profile to be virtually perfect. I especially like the thin tip...like mine used to have! :evil: Today some D-bag at work dropped it and busted the tip off! :evil: :evil: Normally it's not a big deal at all to fix the tip but in this instance it pretty much ruined that sweet thinness it had going for it. It's still gonna be a great knife, but I'm bummed for sure. :x I may just buy another Moritaka KS and not let anyone touch it, but I'd be interested in any other knife with pretty much the exact same profile and thin tip.

BTW, D-bag is probably overstating it; I'm sure whoever did it was unintentional. We have a pretty good crew.

Post subject: Re: What other knives share the Masamoto KS profile?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:43 am 
Forum Moderator

.....now you know why NOBODY, BUT NOBODY TOUCHES my knives!!!!!!

I feel for you - hang in there for the M390.........

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:49 am 

Well, I generally don't care if the guys use mine (if they're laying out). We just got rocked, really unusual for mid-week, and I think it might have got knocked off the cutting board by someone who didn't even see it. The knife isn't ruined but it's not as sweet as it was.

There's no doubt I'm gonna get the M390 but it probably won't replace the Moritaka KS. From what I've read the Ultimatum is a thicker, heavier knife than the KS. Can an Ultimatum owner chime in with some comparisons?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

There are several that are pretty close. BTW the M390 Ultimatums should be thinner and closer in grind to the KS.

Masamoto KS
Richmond Ultimatum
Richmond Artifex 240
Moritaka KS
Several Sabatier Carbon "French"/Chef Knives

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:48 am 

Richmond Ultimatum. Carbon 521000 is fantastic, but M390 will be astonishing.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]