It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Handle Maintenance
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:26 pm 

Would those in the know care to share their tips and tricks for wa-handle maintenance? I'm thinking some walnut oil followed by a couple of days in good indirect sunlight would be OK.............?

Thanks, look forward to all the suggestions!

Rich

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Post subject: Re: Handle Maintenance
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Look here:

wa-handle-care-t190.html

:)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

RICH <> Let the wood get wet and then let it air dry. This might have no effect on your handles, but in all likelihood will cause the grain to rise. I then sand it lightly with fine paper, then with 000 steel wool. Slather the handles pretty liberally with a beeswax/mineral oil paste consisting of 20% beeswax:80% mineral oil mixed in a double-boiler, wipe off excess, let it sit overnight, then buff it in the morning. You could do that a few nights in a row or as needed until the handle feels silky smooth, polished and “sealed” (although, technically it’s not really sealed).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I purchased a Masamoto KS from you a while back. The knife is really good, but I wonder if I should take any particular measures to make sure that the handle keeps intact. Would "drenching" it in plain cooking oil do the trick, or should I be more thorough?

Best regards,
David

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Try the above method. If you use regular cooking oil it will go rancid. Mineral oil is a better solution and adding some beeswax as suggested is better still.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 pm 

If you don't mind losing a little of the grain texture, carnauba wax is my preferred treatment. I basically burnish the wood with a block of wax until it has an even coat, then heat it with a hair dryer until it sinks in. Totally waterproof and it doesn't get sticky like beeswax when your body heat warms it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:44 pm 

Are we talking non-stabilized wood here? My Laguiole knives which have handles of stabilized wood still look great, without any maintenance. They're used almost daily and I've had them for over 10 years.

Also Tim, who rehandled my Artifex with stabilized wood, recommended nothing more than a little oil, sparingly, once in a while.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]