It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The shape of a western boning knife
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:32 pm 

These knives have a curious shape near the handle.
What is the reason for this ?

Post subject: Re: The shape of a western boning knife
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

What knife/knives are you specifically referencing?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:25 pm 

Ones like this...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarbokn16.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

No specific knowledge, but I've always assumed it's to prevent your hand from slipping into the blade.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, number one.. it projects the manipulated bone/joint away from tang centerline as you're working. Two, it's effective on a push cut. There can be times in which a push allows better leverage or angle. For instance, trimming silverskin I will often use an upwards push into the butt-end of a beef tenderloin to get the silverskin out of the three lobes. Furthermore, it allows a roll into a cut. There can be times in which I want to push & roll the heel into a cut to extract a small or large section. For instance, while frenching a lamb rack on-the-fly, I will come down between the ribs towards the eye side and roll the heel at the bottom of the stroke; then coming up the inside of the other rib... almost "scooping" out the fat/membranes/connective tissue.

I am not a knife designer, but these are a few ways in which I have used and recognized said design excels at...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:53 pm 

I love the hands on knowledge Melampus is bringing to this thread. I totally agree. Adam Marr also brings up a great point, The last thing you want to happen is to use to much inward force on a knife and have the blade slip into your hand. So how do we sharpen that curve? I'm thinking a rounded section on the corner of a stone..?

Post subject: Re: The shape of a large butcher's knife
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 pm 

At first I thought it might be for hand safety but after further examination, it seems there would be better ways that could be accomplished compared with just exposed blade sticking out lower than the wooden handle.

Hence my question. Wasn't sure what cutting features it might possess. Sounds like Melampus uses that blade shape to his advantage.

I have the same question about other knives. Specifically a large butcher's knife. It seems they have a curved blade and rounded, bulbous tip, quite the opposite of a boning knife. What are those features for ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:01 am 

Here's another example:

Another note on rejecting the safety idea... I thought if it were for safety... why is that the only knife that has that particular
feature. Basically, that's why I assumed it was a cutting feature, not a safety feature.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 am 

I'm no expert, but in my experience, the bulbous shape works very well for breaking down large cuts of meat -- stuff that's larger than the length of the blade. I've got one, and about the only time I use it is when doing whole briskets.

Post subject: Re: The shape of a large butcher's knife
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 pm 

MrDelicious wrote:I have the same question about other knives. Specifically a large butcher's knife. It seems they have a curved blade and rounded, bulbous tip, quite the opposite of a boning knife. What are those features for ?

I'm not a meatworker but I've found that the wider blades help to keep the cut straight and even when slicing thru large hunks of meat. I find thinner tipped blades harder to control

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next