It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: My mom is pretty cool because...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm 

When I offered to sharpen her knives, she exclaimed that knives were a lot different now and questioned me if stainless knives could even be sharpened. Well of course I replied that any knife could be sharpened. Ironically even using DMT plates there was one knife that remained dull and made a hideous "fingernail on chalk board" sound when I ran it through anything. It never took a good edge. It looked like a normal department store quality stainless steel knife.

Is there some garbage alloy out there that really just can't be honed into a decent cutting piece?

All her other knives came out fantastic. Thanks CKTG and all the to people on this forum with so much knowledge to spare.

Post subject: Re: My mom is pretty cool because...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

So long as you're talking about a hardenable steel....none that I know of any way. How good of an edge they take, and whether they're hold it cutting butter is a whole different question though. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:42 am 

I too have tried to take really crappy knives and have failed to get the blade as sharp as some of my nicer Japanese knives. I think it boils down to grind and thickness of the blade... a lot of crappy department store knives with Rachel Ray and Guy whatever his name are just really crappy blade profiles that are made cheap for the home novice... Adam or anyone else care to comment? They can be sharpened but their ability to cut compared to a well made knife are not apples to apples.. IMHO...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:46 am 

softer steel will never be as sharp as knives like j type knives =D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:09 pm 

Sometimes a much lower grit, and a higher angle is required; counter to what we are all used to...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

No Chop wrote:"Sometimes a much lower grit, and a higher angle is required; counter to what we are all used to..."

Hard pill to swallow, for me, but totally true. I have had my share of battles w/friends' cheap shiite. :x

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]