It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:59 am

All times are UTC

Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Matsubara video
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know how to embed a vimeo video here but I found this nice, short video of Tanaka-san from Matsubara working the spring hammer. I love watching these guys form the tangs on the knives. Having tried it I can tell you it's not easy.

Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals
 Post subject: Re: Matsubara video
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:42 pm 

Nice to see the smith at work! I've been using my Matsubara 240 for a few weeks now. Despite some very rough f&f out of the box the thing is a beast and a heck of a cutter. The 240 is a definite workhorse with a high performance grind. I'm still adjusting to the the profile a little. Slightly more European than your average gyuto, but still not what I'd consider a full on rocker. I am very impressed with the tip (flies through onions, etc.) and I like the stiff feel of the knife. It reminds me a little of a Moritaka but with more belly and a thinner tip. Broke it on on onion soup and haven't looked back. His white steel is certainly harder than average and sharpens more like AS. I don't feel like it gets as sharp and crisp as TF, but definitely much harder than your average White#1 (without feeling nearly as brittle as you might think).

This is a case where performance trumps looks. Honestly the rough f&f was almost a deal breaker for me at that price, but I went ahead and cleaned up the blade road, put my own edge on, and gave her a chance... She isn't pretty, but she sure cuts good :D

PS Forgot to mention that food release is exceptional. Also, the shoulder of the grind had been nicely eased so I've found tall, hard ingredients are no problem. Going through large, dense sweet potatoes I had good feedback and no real wedging in the cut.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]