It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:18 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Ikeda KS Clone Passaround
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 am 

So I've been involved in a couple of these and am currently on the list for two more and figured I'd pay it forward to the forum best I can, so to speak.

I'd like to setup a passaround for this knife, I know it's one that has some intrigue to it.

Figure as usual, forum members with a higher post count who have done these in the past.

Say 8 to 10 people and a week each with the knife give or take a few days dependent on your personal schedules.

I have someone I'm going to kick it off with who's a member on a different forum, I'll ask/suggest he joins this one as well so he can drop some thoughts on the knife and to make it easier for logistics. I left him hanging a few months back on a temporary swap of this knife for one of his when I was strapped for cash and was looking to sell it, so it's only right. He's in my state close by so I'll probably just personally drop it off to him to start things once we get a lineup of members set in stone.

All I ask is the obvious, take good care of the knife, only sharpen it if you feel you're up to par and no major changes in geometry, etc. I know this isn't a high end knife to some, but I am of humble earnings and this is up there with my most valued knives both current and past, monetarily.

Hope you guys enjoy using this one, I know I thoroughly appreciate it.

Also, I'd ask you insure it up to about it's value new when shipping it. I've found Fedex is actually cheaper than USPS when you're sending a package to a relatively short distance fwiw, haven't tried UPS in awhile though to round out the Big 3.

Peace and chicken grease.

Post subject: Re: Ikeda KS Clone Passaround
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:55 am 

I've been interested in trying one of these out for some time, but I've also participated in several pass-arounds recently. Perhaps I could be on some sort of waitlist, depending on interest from others?

A fine and generous offer, regardless!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:08 am 

Alright true. I mean I have no problem with you bogarting lol, if you want to just jump in go for it. That is a nice gesture for the others though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:19 am 

Very kind of you Dave. I owned this knife for a while and though it was not my cup of tea it really is a special knife. I have not used any other quite like it. Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on this knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:32 am 

Pretty sure this was originally your knife Cedar. Bought it off the Classifieds on here from CGuarin(spelling?), pretty sure he bought it off you.

I'm a big fan, though it does have it's little idiosyncrasies.

I owned a Masamoto for a while, loved that knife, and I at times wondered which I preferred. Will say, always gravitated towards the original for various reasons, but this is a knife I dig a whole lot. They are definitely similar for obvious reasons, but so many subtle nuances which are unique to each. The Ikeda seemed a lot thinner and flatter vertically, although the Masamoto always seemed to have less issues with food release. Neither is a slouch though. For whatever reason the Ikeda always feels it's size though, where as the original OG felt to me a lot smaller than it's lengthy stature. And although I really love the look of the Bubinga Wenge handle on the Ikeda, the KS' was more comfortable and functional to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 am 

Funny, that was my knife. A member is sending me a KS to play with so I will be interested to see how it compares to my recollection of the Ikeda.

It is probably one of the three most beautiful knives I have handled. That alone made it hard to part with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:55 am 

The Masamoto has it's faults, but it's a classic for a reason. Such an amazing knife. I had a really good example grind wise too. Tbh, I really regret trading it even though I like the Kono I got for it a lot and have found my favorite style is a Nakiri paired with a nice petty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:05 am 

I am definitely in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:13 am 

Very curious about this knife (and the original). Can't wait to see everyone's thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 am 

I'm game! I have always wanted to try the original Masamoto KS and feel like this would be a neat stand in to try out the fairly iconic profile.

If I do get in, please let me know where to send my shipping info, thanks!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next