It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Kohetsu 240 Not a Workhorse...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:49 pm 

I can't fathom why this blade is recommend as a workhorse when it is not. When I first got the knife it was OMG out of the box. But after doing some mirepoix I started to feel like the blade just wasn't the smooth cutting machine it used to be. So I sharpened it seemed better, but it just wouldn't steer like it used it.

Then I came to the belief that the thin blade requires absolute precision when pushing and cutting to the point where the blade will distort and warp if you are not careful. So I do not believe this knife to be a good workhorse. If you don't cut carefully the blade can change shape, it's hard to visually see but you feel it pulling like a car with a bad alignment.

This was a great knife out of the box but after actually using it more I've come to the conclusion that this knife is certainly not workhorse category. It's got a reasonable spine thickness but it gets so thin that it can be a bit flexy. I give up. No more wimpy blades for me.

In a fit of rage this blade has been destroyed in a bench vice...tang snapped off wa handle...blade bent to a nice 90 degrees. No more anorexic for me...

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu 240 Not a Workhorse...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:56 pm 

It's a shame the knife wasn't suitable to your usage. The bigger shame is that it wasn't given a hearty edge and donated to a soup kitchen.

Not passing any judgement. I've broken my share of things from time to time. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:07 pm 

Hey Umberto,

I have to say, the 240mm has been in my rotation for 5+ months now and is holding up to my standards pretty well. Can the knife do every daily task I would ask a workhorse to do? No, but it will happily do 90% of it. I noticed you mentioned in another post that this was your first Japanese knife and it was used to practice your sharpening/thinning. Maybe your issues with the knife were a product of that practice. Hopefully someone can elaborate more on this.

Just my 2 cents...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:28 pm 

Could have been a nice knife for a young up and comer starting out had you been a little more adult about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 pm 

Next time you find a knife that doesn't suit you, I'll gladly pay the shipping and I'll dispose of it for you. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:32 am 

Well I have a 210 and never understood why it's considered a laser. back at ya. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 am 

I'm not sure i understand the anger at the knife. It's got some flex? Sometimes that's good. Sometimes bad. Perhaps it wasn't the right knife for the job. What were you cutting? Unless it was something like a watermelon i wouldn't expect too much wavyness

Going Hulk on the knife is one way to go I suppose, however, i probably would have just grabbed a stiffer knife

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Your approach to using a knife seems 'flawed' to put it kindly. Each knife has a range of behavior or performance that can be extracted out of it and a range of tasks it should be used for. Rather than optimizing the edge for your use and optimizing the use of the knife for appropriate tasks and handling it appropriately, you chose to destroy the knife?

I believe in respecting your tools. Knives, cutting boards, sharpening stones, etc. Same for a carpenter, mechanic, a surgeon or any craftsman. When I see a surgeon blaming his tools and throwing his instruments around an operating room or someone doing what you have done to your knife, I loose a great deal of respect for that individual. This action DEEPLY disrespects the maker of your knife. Stating you have done this publicly is yet even more embarrassing.

I say this not to be mean but in the hopes that you learn more what you have done and mend your ways in the future so that people will once again feel it worthy of their time to help you along your journey.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:08 am 

Thanks Ken...I understand your criticisms entirely...I just find it a bit frustrating spending nearly 200$ on a knife that has to be babied when cutting thicker carrots. If I had known this knife might have a tendency to deform at larger carrots I wouldn't have bought it. I know it's best to utilize a straight consistent cutting motion. But we aren't always perfect.

I'm starting to think I need to appreciate fine delicate Japanese knives at home and get some modestly inexpensive knife to beat up at work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:14 am 
Forum Moderator

Wasn't this the same one that you thinned way out, over sharpened and offered for sale in the Classifieds? If you thinned it out too far, it may have had the issues because of what you did to it. Your problems started when you sharpened it, right? It didn't steer right after you sharpened it is what it looks like you wrote. I have seen and used a few of these and none had issues with carrots or other foods. If you thin a blade out too far, the blade can flex at the edge area. When I regrind and thin blades, I take them down to very thin levels as long as I know the customer can use that thin edge properly. If I don't know the final customer, I don't go quite as far so the edge will be a bit more durable. The surface finish on those isn't as smooth as some other knives, so that could have added extra drag, too. Norton or Scotchbrite pads take care of that minor issue. IIRC, the knives come with the core steel mirror polished and a wide bevel on one side and a very narrow bevel on the other. The ones I tried cut straight for me with the factory edge angles/asymetry, not sure what you did to the blade during the sharpening/thinning stage to change this though.

It is a workhorse because it can handle a large variety of tasks very well and hold an edge through a lot of cutting at speed. Some have the skills to use a thinner knife while doing this, others do not. Workhorse does not mean beater knife for cracking crabs and lobsters, cutting frozen foods, etc that some think it means, yet everyone has their own version/definition of work horse. Some use laser class knives, others use thicker knives. The 240mm were much thicker at the edge than the 210mm's are (AS and B2) and I use the B2 and 210mm thru carrots w/o any problems at all with edge distortion. In fact, the 210mm rivaled my favorite Nakiri's in harder foods like sweet potatoes and carrots. I find it very hard to believe that the 240mm distorted on the same foods that a thinner knife handled w/o any issues. But since you sharpened and thinned it out, obviously you changed the geometry a good bit to cause these issues.

I hate to say it, but it may be for the best that you broke the blade; this way no one has to receive a knife that you messed up. Yes, it could have been saved, but it would require a good bit of work. I'm glad no one in the Classifieds traded for the knife if it was that messed up.

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next