It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Fujiware Carbon Petty / Tojiro ITK #2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:35 pm 

I would like to venture in to the carbon world. I want a inexpensive knife to use at home, mainly for peeling cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.

It seems like the Tojiro would be a knife that requires more maintenance than the Fujiwara but I'm not 100% sure if that would be the case.

I am ok with caring for a carbon knife but I don't want to deal with repeated issues with smell or turning my veggies black, etc.

If I were to get the Torjio would I have to force a patina in order to prevent the blade from rusting and turning my veggies black? Would the Fujiwara have the same issue?

I have a Hiromoto AS and love it so far. Just want a smaller knife like a petty for peeling purposes and would like a knife that is easy to sharpen and one that would retain an edge for a fairly decent time.

Just trying to make an informed choice.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Fujiware Carbon Petty / Tojiro ITK #2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:57 pm 

I personally would go with the Fujiwara. An excellent bang for the buck knife with nice fit and finish. Takes a nice edge and is a good cutter.
The ITK just has to much of a bad rep when it come to excessive reactivity. It will have a lesser fit and finish than the Fujiwara but would take and hold a better edge, but not enough of a difference for me to take a chance on it.

Last edited by Jeff B on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:58 pm 

thanks. I appreciate the reply.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:01 pm 

Hi-

This post should probably get moved to the knife rec. section...

Anyway, I love my Tojiro ITK 150mm petty. It is actually super thin an flies through small ingredients. The white steel gets very sharp very fast. I would only warn you that the cladding on the ITK knives can be VERY reactive. Some people have had problems with smell/rust. I haven't had any trouble with mine since I got a patina going, but when it was new I had a few "rust before your eyes" moments with it. Forcing a patina actually didn't help much. The thing that gave me the most stable dull gray/blue patina was making a big batch of salami and cheese sandwiches. It seems each knife likes something different! Since then I don't worry about reactivity at all.... So for a cheap knife that is a little rough around the edges a little work on the ITK can give you great performance.

I've heard the Fujiwara FKH line can have similar reactivity issues, but I don't have any direct experience to relay. I think it just depends on your preferences... western vs. wa, KU clad vs. mono, etc. Either way you will need to care for the knives like any other carbon blade.

I'll post a pick of my ITK if I get a chance later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:17 pm 

Why not a hiro AS petty?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 pm 

Jeff B beat me to it, but I was going to say that the f&f should be better on the Fujiwara. The only thing I'll add that still sways me toward the Tojiro is that the ITK has a bit more of a mini-gyuto vibe and the Fujiwara looks a little more like a utility knife. You didn't say what size you want, but my ITK 150 gives me enough room to use it on the board for small chop/mince jobs (garlic, shallot, and even onions, etc.).

For one notch up in price I'd also look at this Zakuri: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/zabl1pe15.html
I haven't used one, but I love Blue#1, I love that pointy profile, and the handle looks nicer than the ITK. I'm guessing f&f will be a bit better too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:35 pm 

emoclaus wrote:Why not a hiro AS petty?

If I was going to step up that far I would just go all the way and get the Teruyasu-Fujiwara Nashiji 150mm Petty http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara4.html
But as it is, I just find Fujiwara to be about the best budget knife, that's just one opinion though.

btm --> I like the looks of that Zakuri but I have no experience with them either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:50 pm 

I was actually thinking of getting a 120 and a 150. My wife uses a cheap stainless knife to peel cucumbers, etc and it's about the size of a 120 so I was going to get that one for her. I was going to get the 150 for me.

I do like the Fujiwara Nashiji and the Zakuri Blue but dont want to spend the bucks just yet. I just bought the Hiro AS. I also have a new set of stones that I need to get accustomed to before venturing into more expensive knives, which is the reason i am considering the cheaper Tojiro and Fujiwara.

I may end up just getting the Fujiwara for my wife and the Zakuri for me even though it's a bit more money than I want to spend. Or i may just get the Tojiro ITK 150. Since I will only be using these knives at home, it may take a while for a patina to form unless I force one which I prefer not to do.

I also never used a knife with a handle like the Zakuri has or the Tojiro but I would be willing to try it. The handle on the Zakuri does look alot better than the Tojiro.

If I do opt for the Zakuir, the care for the blade would basically be the same as a white#2?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:00 pm 

ed70301 wrote:.....If I do opt for the Zakuir, the care for the blade would basically be the same as a white#2?

Yes

ed70301 wrote:....I may end up just getting the Fujiwara for my wife and the Zakuri for me even though it's a bit more money than I want to spend. Or i may just get the Tojiro ITK 150. Since I will only be using these knives at home...

Sounds like a good combo to me, Fujiwara 120mm and Zukuri 150mm. Give you a chance to try two different lines and two more steels.
Havin' some fun now aren't we! :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:08 pm 

The Zakuri should be about the same care-wise... Maybe less reactive would be my guess, but I haven't used one so I can't say for sure. Basically the care will be the same for all carbon knives so I wouldn't let that be a factor in your decision.

As to the wa handle issue I think you will actually like it better on the petty. It makes the knife very nimble and in the the case of my ITK it gives my knuckles good clearance on the board (better than my Hiromoto 210 gyuto for reference!). This is mostly since you can really tuck your fingers up under the thinner handle and into the neck of the knife. So even if the height is lower, the effective height is better in most cases with a wa handle.

Reading the stats on the Zakuri it is a little lower than the ITK, so I'm not sure how all this holds up with that knife in particular. The profile just looks really nice to me....

My 2cents though... if you are planning to buy two knives, just buy one really great one!!! Get the Fujiwara JeffB linked to or the 135mm TF to split the length difference!

Also, if you just want a good quality cheap carbon paring knife I like the Opinel carbon 2pack for $18. Combine that with a TF and you are in business for a long time.

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next