It is currently Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: What a Christmas!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:36 am 

And not in a good way. It's been a while since I've been here - saving lives and stamping out disease can be busy and tiring. :roll:

My wife and I knew the weather would be bad around Christmas here in the Dallas area. Being on the road all day, I pay close attention to traffic and the weather - and both can change in a heartbeat in Dallas. Knowing that bad weather was predicted for the day after Christmas, we did our grocery shopping on Christmas Eve - and got nailed in the side of our car on the George Bush Turnpike by someone not paying attention. No injuries except the usual pains after getting hit by another car and dealing with insurance companies.

Saying "bad weather was predicted for the day after Christmas" turned out to be a bit of an understatement. When there were super cells spawning tornados within DFW, not outside of it, we started getting really nervous. I was tracking them with my radar apps. Then our tornado sirens went off and the local weather guy was talking about 150+ mph winds. That EF-4 tornado was just a few miles from us, where I go almost every day. We could have been at the very spot where the tornado picked up ten or so cars and trucks and just dumped them on the access road. Eight people gone in a few heartbeats.

Two more days go by, and I'm walking my 7 year old dog and 6 month old puppy at 8:00 at night. I hear barking and snarling, look up, and a 70+ pound boxer is tear-assing around the building, heading right for me. Old football instincts, being 6'1" and about 210, and an incredible adrenaline dump into my bloodstream let me survive the impact, keep the snarling beast away from me and my babies, and scream at it.

Worst of all, I decided my Kono Fujiyama White #1 gyuto needed sharpening, and found the tip was damaged. :cry:

Dr. Bob

Post subject: Re: What a Christmas!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:13 am 

Wow. May the new year be better to you.

I was at the in laws in Grapevine during the tornado. All our cell phones were beeping the whole evening. It didn't get too bad where we were at but from the pictures, it was a hell of a storm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:45 am 

Better luck in the New Year.
I've been t-boned before & it's no fun. Still better than insurance companies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sorry to hear about your accident, that's never fun. Dealing with cops, on the other hand, can sometimes be fun. :D

I know how you feel about seeing that dog, I've been on both ends; Having to protect a small dog, and then other times having to stop a big dog from pulling me down the street. We may love them all, but they sure don't all love each other.

Also noticed you're from Rockwall. The residents of Rockwall and Garland were awesome to us during Hurricane Katrina for 2 weeks. The local businesses and churches brought so much stuff to our hotel for needy families that I had to volunteer to help drive the stuff across town to other families in more need. Our family had escaped major loss narrowly (tornado bounced over house, took half the shingles off and cracked a few walls but fine other than that).

But it wasn't just the hospitality from charity groups, it seemed there were nice people everywhere we went (with the exception of a few spots in Dallas). Total contrast from what I remember in Houston. Last time I went to Houston it seemed everyone was in a bad mood, from the Restaurants to the hotels, even at Six Flags. Anywho, just wanted to throw that in there, I think the people around Rockwall are just absolutely great.

That line of storms got to us soon after, but it was nothing at all, just a rain event. It sure didn't stop the phone from going off at 3am like WW3 was kicking off. Scared the crap outa me! Apparently something about a tornado in the area... meh, let it take me in my sleep. Tornadoes actually scare me so bad that I'd rather the thing just take me in my sleep then to know it's coming. Geesh, glad we don't really get em around here. Glad to hear you're okay, Mother Nature is cruel and unforgiving sometimes.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]