It is currently Fri May 06, 2016 4:00 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: I bought a phone.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

I'm the last person on earth that didn't have a cell phone until last week when I plunked down a large amount of money on an iPhone 6s. The thing is amazing....

Chefknivestogo on Instagram
Chefknivestogo on Twitter
Chefknivestogo on Youtube

Post subject: Re: I bought a phone.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:10 pm 

...you didn't have a cell phone till last week :o

And I thought I was a Luddite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:23 pm 

Well, congratulations, Mark. Be warned that phones can be addictive for a while as you figure out all the things they can do.

I used to cover wireless phone companies and phone makers more than a decade ago as a reporter. I remember top executives, especially the techies, telling me someday a phone would be your lifeline to the world.

You’d be able to listen to music on it. Watch TV on it. Order food on it. Shop on it. Use it to track sports scores. Monitor your kids. Control your future “smart” home. Translate foreign languages. Map your travel route.

Phones would get smaller, more powerful, be harder to break. Batteries would last longer.

At first we reporters were skeptical. The CEOs of the handset makers were true believers. The VIPs at the wireless carriers made the case but didn’t always seem as convinced.

It didn’t take long for us to come around as we saw the rapid explosion in innovation. The Motorola Razr was the first of its kind (Terminator 1).

And then the iPhone blew up the telecom world .... just nine years ago (2007). Hard to believe.

Early skepticism quickly gave way more broadly and oldtime companies like Nokia and RIMM that failed to keep up never saw what him them. Sort of how Japanese knives are cutting into a market once dominated by the Germans.

Biggest problem these days is, still, battery life. Better, for sure, but battery tech has not progressed like software and hardware development. The need to keep a phone tethered to a cord for sizable chunks of every day is the cell industry’s only real kryptonite.

It’s not a problem I think will be solved satisfactorily anytime soon. Get yourself some extra power cords for the car, the office and the bedroom, Mark. (-:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:59 pm 

battery life - asside from battery tech not advancing like processors etc. There is the obsession with constantly making the phones thinner.

My bet is people would trade a couple mm of thickness for more battery capabiliy. Given the space of the battery if Apple offered a version with 2X or more battery life in exchange for 2mm of thickness I would guess loads of people would take it. But, alas not offered....

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:12 pm 

So I guess that means you'll be selling your Telex terminal?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:05 pm 

Battery technology hasn’t changed much in 200 years since the first ones were created. Today’s batteries still look similar on the inside to the very first ones made.

Lithium-ion was the last big breakthrough, hitting the market in the early 1990s. Scientists have pretty much pushed LI battery tech to the limit in terms of adding power in a given size of battery. No big breakthrough is on the horizon, so energy efficiency is the only game in town right now.

Even as phones have gotten smaller, by the way, cell phone batteries have actually been getting bigger as the chief way to extend the the cycle of one charge. The reason Apple and now Samsung don’t allow for easily removable batteries is to create more space for the larger LI cell-phone batteries that are in use these days.

Sure, both companies could offer thicker batteries in thicker phones that hold a longer charge. But to house a battery twice as powerful as the ones they now use, for example, would effectively double the weight of the phone. It's not just the battery that has to be bigger. Its the "housing" for the battery inside the phone.

Naturally that would sharply raise costs for devices that are already costly to make. Seems the market much more favors thinner, lighter phones at lower prices ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:06 pm 

I predict you won't have any battery issues, Mark. After having other cell phones for the last 15 years, I bought my first "smart" phone last fall (a 6s). My battery would easily last 2-3 days, and that was using my phone for recreational streaming, texting, etc., as well as work. Most of my friends are the same. While I'm part of the texting/phone generation and even though my phone is a work phone, I still seem to have no problems.

I attribute this to two things: 1) I actually use a computer for "computer" work. So although I have my phone with me all day, I tend to use my computer for computer things. 2) I have a low data plan, because I don't travel a ton for work and have wi-fi just about everywhere I go where I need to use data. So while I use wi-fi for talking, streaming, etc., on my phone, I don't use lots of location finders or cellular data in cell mode, which eats ones battery faster than anything else. Obviously, lots of people cannot avoid this – or they just don't care because work pays for their data – so they use tons of cell data, which is very hard on the battery.

I don't think others should follow my habits, but chances are, if you've gone this long without a phone (and since you don't travel a ton for business like a consultant, etc), you will have plenty of battery even if you use it to serf, stream, etc., every day, especially since you work in one place and have a computer to do "computer" things (like email, etc) more efficiently. The key is to make sure to turn off the things you don't use every day, like location devices and cellular data boost (since you likely do 95% of your phone work and recreation at home or at work, where you undoubtedly have wi-fi). Chances are you'll never miss the extra LTE speed, and it will have virtually no effect on 95% of your apps.

I'm not quite an Apple devotee, but I do like many of their products and follow them closely. I think the 6s is a magnificent device, but I just sold mine for an SE. Just goes to show that not everyone wants a bigger screen, just like not everyone needs more battery, etc., etc. Some people do, of course. And for them, it is worth considering that, given raises in power consumption, the devices of today (laptops and phones) are VASTLY superior to those of just 10 years ago. The battery efficiency and duration (both in terms of single charges and cycles) of current devices far exceeds that of ten years ago, by massive percentages. While turning a computer from a 4 hour battery life to a 12 hour battery life may not seem like a lot, that is THREE TIMES as long, while also improving telecommunications/wi-fi/processor speed/memory speed/display brightness, etc., etc., all of which are considered power-hungry components/processes. Add to this changes in use patterns, where people also USE these components way more due to the prevalence of video streaming (and even advertising), and the innovations are astounding.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome to the club! Did you get a members jacket? Yeah, neither did I... :( :D :D :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

What's scary is I've been using it for a week and I think I'm already totally dependent on the thing.

Chefknivestogo on Instagram
Chefknivestogo on Twitter
Chefknivestogo on Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:00 am 

salemj wrote:My battery would easily last 2-3 days, and that was using my phone for recreational streaming, texting, etc., as well as work.

I wish my phone lasted that long! I am probably a heavier user than you are, but I am not a heavy user.

Long battery life or no, I think a cell phone is necessity for anyone these days. I am sure Mark has already found out what he was missing. :D

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next