It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: RIP Michel Richard
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:34 am 

This gave me the sads.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ies-at-68/

Also reminded me of a fond memory.

One night long ago I was posted up at the Citronelle bar with my boss, pounding French Whores. (The drink, as recommended by the petite Somali bartender.) A plume of cigar smoke wafted over us. My boss, enjoying the power he had over his 6'8" lummox of an employee, directed me to go over and score him a cigar.

I dutifully walked up to the table which was the source of the smoke and explained my situation. The man who was obviously the ringleader laughed and invited me to take a seat with him and maybe 4 other gentlemen. Mild ball breaking ensued. Ringleader pulled a waitress over and bought me a cocktail, then produced 2 Cohibas for boss man and I. I recognized this to be a very gracious offer, but turned down the second Cohiba because it would just be wasted on me. Even more laughing and backslapping.

So naturally, ringleader was Michel Richard. He seemed like a guy you would just want to hang with, even if he didn't own the joint and dole out Cubans. I know for certain Bobby Flay and Jean-Louis Palladin were among the others. I wish I had been paying more attention, but, like I said, I had been drinking, this was long before the likes of Food Network, and I have never been a starfcuker.

Cheers,

Rick

Post subject: Re: RIP Michel Richard
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:41 pm 

Nice memory. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:24 pm 

Great story!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:52 pm 

now I know what the T stands for in TDS!

The first celebrity chef's cookbook I ever bought was Michel Richard's French Cooking at Home in 1993. Nice book. I had heard a lot about him and seemed like an interesting guy (as your recollection shows).

When I moved to DC a few years later, I ate at his restaurant and followed his doings for years. By the time Citronelle closed in 2012, DC had totally changed as a food destination. And the changes are coming fast and furious. New high-quality retaurants, both formal and casual, are opening all the time.

Yes, the revolution probably started with him, but it was only a matter of time. There are so many highly educated people living here now that demand is growing apace. And all the kids, including mine, are growing up as foodies.

Really, there is a food revolution going on almost everywhere in the U.S.

RIP

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]