It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: The MAD4 Symposium
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:23 am 

Hey guys!

I spent much of today getting absorbed watching videos and listening to talks, and in case anyone wasn't aware of it or wanted to check it out, I thought I'd share it and some of the things I was particularly interested in, that might be fun for the folks who I've come to know use this site, pro and home alike. Basically, MAD is a LOT like TED talks, except it's wholly dedicated to all things food.

Where it is: Madfeed.co
What it is: (From their site) Founded in 2011, MAD is a not-for-profit organization that aims to build a community of cooks, purveyors, and thinkers with an appetite for knowledge and a desire to improve the restaurant trade. The cornerstone of MAD is an annual symposium, held every summer, that brings 600 people into a circus tent along Copenhagen's harbor and features two days of talks from speakers from around the world. All videos of the talks are viewable online, for free.

MAD has evolved to include MAD Mondays, a series of intimate talks open to the public, and The MADFeed, a blog exploring food culture that keeps the MAD spirit alive throughout the year.

"Mad" is also the Danish word for "food."

So today I listened to Wylie Dufresne talk about how to act in a professional kitchen, a talk on the duties of being a chef today, Chris Cosentino's amazing dialogue on the evils of Food TV and Chef-Stardom, and most relevant to the CKTG community:

Tatsuru Rai -- owner and chef of Japan's Sobatei Rakuichi, spent 15 minutes preparing soba from scratch and serving it to the audience with his wife. (http://madfeed.co/post/96981375005/tats ... -symposium)

It was about 14 minutes of total silence other than the sounds of him working, and was truly a beautiful and inspiring thing to watch.

So I hope you guys get some chance to look around madfeed.co and look at some of these videos and find some enjoyment as I did.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]