It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Praise for CBN and HandAmerican diamond sprays
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 pm 

Just wanted to say thanks for great products used in a manner I didn't plan on when I got them. I've been making knife handles out of wood and the CBN sprays and Hand American diamond sprays do a great job of finishing and polishing wood. I started using it on small pieces of leather about the size of my finger and polishing. Then I used the stuff on Dremel felt polishing wheels. Both methods work great. Since some handles are wood with the tang sandwiched between the scales the polishing works great on both the wood and metal.

Note about the Dremel felt wheels: Make sure the stuff is dry before turning on the Dremel or you will take a shower in diamond spray. :)

Post subject: Re: Praise for CBN and HandAmerican diamond sprays
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks for sharing this new idea! Very exciting! I just came out with a new CBN emulsion which sticks to wheels and belts REAL well and is water soluble. Initial batch is tenth micron and I'm in love with this stuff. Just got done using it on a linen belt for my grinder. I'll be expanding it to other grits so if you have a special request (diamonds or CBN) just let me know.

So what grits are you using for this?

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:44 am 

ken123 wrote:Thanks for sharing this new idea! Very exciting! I just came out with a new CBN emulsion which sticks to wheels and belts REAL well and is water soluble. Initial batch is tenth micron and I'm in love with this stuff. Just got done using it on a linen belt for my grinder. I'll be expanding it to other grits so if you have a special request (diamonds or CBN) just let me know.

So what grits are you using for this?

---
Ken

I have tried CBN 15 micronn right after 1000 or 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. This leaves a pretty good shiny finish on wood. Then I have used 3 micron and 1 micron DMT paste. Also Boron Carbide 1 micron, .5 CBN and .25 Hand Americn diamond spray.

Without a larger selection it's hard to know if diamond or CBN or paste works better on felt polishing wheels or leather strips for hand polishing. To say which "type" of abrasive is best or how they are different you'd need two or three grits from each "type". With what I have the only thing I really think (at this point) is anything lower than 1 micron is not needed on wood. The only product I don't like for wood is the Boron Carbide. It doesn't polish as well as it sharpens a knife edge. So, I have 1 micron DMT paste that I like and the CBN .5. Either of these finishes the wood nicely. I'll try to put up a picture tomorrow am. I'm on my tablet now without access to pictures I've taken. I would say an acceptable finish on wood would start with 15 micron of diamond or CBN. Progressing down to 1 or .5 micron in two steps leaves a very nice finish. With what I have I plan on just keep polishing with the .5 CBN to see if it gets shinier after a few minutes. I doubt if it will get better. The .25 micron diamond spray doesn't improve the finish after the .5 CBN.

One thing I really like is the texture is not slippery when using the knife.

I bought some rotary tool leather polishing tips to try but they are hard as a rock. The pastes or sprays don't work well on them. I want to wrap and glue a small strip of softer leather around one and try that. I have the HA leather sold here that I'll use. Hopefully it can hold up to higher speeds than the felt wheels. They tear apart at higher speeds. I'm wondering how the higher speed which will increase heat will affect the finish. Hopefully the wood won't burst into flames. :D

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Mark has a pretty big gap on the CKTG web site of my CBN products, so if you need any grits between 1 micron and 30 microns, just contact me directly. This would include:

1.5 microns spray and paste
2 microns spray and paste
4.5 microns spray suspension and paste
9 microns suspension and paste
15 microns suspension. and paste

I also have CBN in 80, 200 and 300 microns suspensions too :)

I also have poly diamond in 2 and 4 microns.

I'll be expanding the availability of emulsions to other grits than 0.1 micron.

I'm not sure how nanocloth or kangaroo leather might work for this application, but if you need some scraps to find out just let me know. I'd be interested to find this out. The Kangaroo would have significant draw and the nanocloth very little draw. The spray, emulsion suspension and paste formulations will also have different effects on wood too, so if you want to chat about this also send me a PM. I'm always up for a little 'R&D' .

---
Ken

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 am 
Forum Moderator

Also just noticed that the 0.5 micron poly is missing from the site too :( Just PM me if you need some.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm 

ken123 wrote:Mark has a pretty big gap on the CKTG web site of my CBN products, so if you need any grits between 1 micron and 30 microns, just contact me directly. This would include:

1.5 microns spray and paste
2 microns spray and paste
4.5 microns spray suspension and paste
9 microns suspension and paste
15 microns suspension. and paste

I also have CBN in 80, 200 and 300 microns suspensions too :)

I also have poly diamond in 2 and 4 microns.

I'll be expanding the availability of emulsions to other grits than 0.1 micron.

I'm not sure how nanocloth or kangaroo leather might work for this application, but if you need some scraps to find out just let me know. I'd be interested to find this out. The Kangaroo would have significant draw and the nanocloth very little draw. The spray, emulsion suspension and paste formulations will also have different effects on wood too, so if you want to chat about this also send me a PM. I'm always up for a little 'R&D' .

---
Ken

---
Ken

I'd like to try nano-cloth and kangaroo both. I'll PM you about it. Thanks.

Here is a picture of one scale I did. I don't know how to make the picture bigger in a post. I'm not much of a photographer either. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

The leather pieces may work nicely using them in a strip with like a shoe shine motion. I have some 1 micron diamond here somewhere, I will have to try it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:41 pm 

taz575 wrote:The leather pieces may work nicely using them in a strip with like a shoe shine motion. I have some 1 micron diamond here somewhere, I will have to try it!

The first thing I tried (on a whim) was to rub the wooden scale on a strop. It worked so well I did cut small pieces of leather long enough to hold and used my finger just like shining shoes as you said. I really can't say using the Dremel is any better other than just being faster. I'll have a Dremel bit with leather later today to try. The pieces do have to be small enouh to get inside curves so just a strop won't work.

I don't know how this will work on older wood that may have dirt, sweat embedded in it. The only wood I've used so far is dymondwood. I think it is stabalized wood. With the leather strips and doing it by hand you can start before the leather is dry. But, using anything wet on wood can have negative effect on the grain. Some will swell more and you'll need to do some sanding all over again. I'm no expert but I don't think this applies to stabalized wood.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ah, Dymondwood is quite a bit softer than stabilized woods. It is thin wood slices that are laminated with heat and pressure and some sort of adhesive/epoxy, but it is still fairly soft due to the wood being soft.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]