It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: proper yet affordable cutting board
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:08 pm 

Hey there.....
I was just curious as to what cutting board material I should be using with my Japanese knives (or any knife for that matter). I've heard certain materials are harmful to the blade. I work in in kitchen with real crappy boards and had a feeling my knives are dulling out faster than they should.
Any thoughts? thanks

Post subject: Re: proper yet affordable cutting board
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:39 pm 

end grain hardwood cutting boards are the best.

=D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:02 pm 

I've been pretty happy with 18X24x2.5 Boos board for awhile now, It is hard wood but isn't end grain which would be best, but it is much better then the plastic ones I was using before. I picked mine up for I think $85 which is a half to a third of what you would pay for end grain of that size, I really like the extra real estate. The knives that I use are either carbon of unknown origin/hardness or VG10 stainless which is (from what I've read on here) on the lower end of Japanese steels and my knives stay sharp much longer than they did with the high density plastics.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:13 pm 

End grain in maple seems to be the consensus, though end grain walnut is popular, too. I've heard that end grain cherry is considered a step down from either maple or walnut, but I don't know why. Bamboo - even end grain - is warned against because as a grass, bamboo contains silicate, which is abrasive to steel. I have seen some very nice end grain teak boards on various websites, but I haven't been able to find any commentary on how good or bad teak might be for knife edges. They are certainly gorgeous.

For those who can't afford and end grain board or butcher block, the hard rubber boards like sani-tuff are supposed to be easy on knives. They're pretty ugly, though.

Let me qualify all the above comments by confessing that I have used none of these boards myself (other than edge grain bamboo). At the moment my best cutting board is a ten dollar Ikea Lamplig board made in Romania from Beechwood.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Furthermore, bamboo boards are almost exclusively manufactured in China, and utilize a glue that is notoriously abusive on knife edges. :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:40 am 

Just a little exercise for me to get a clearer picture of this cutting board bad on knives thing. On a scale of 1 -10, glass being a 1 and end grain wood being a 10, where would bamboo and plastic rank, and any others?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:59 am 

i would consider bamboo as around 3-4

plastic would be 5? but that really depends on what kind of plastic we're talking about.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]