It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tojiro ITK 210mm Handle F&F, Rust
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:12 pm 

Hey all,

I purchased the Tojiro ITK 210mm Gyuto just over a year ago. Since the beginning the seal between the blade and the handle has always had a little hole to it. As a consequence, water tends to get inside and rust the metal at a spot where I have no reach.

I was wondering if there was any way for me to seal this hole to prevent this problem.

As you can see, there is visible rust at the area on both sides of the knife.

Thanks,
Steven

Post subject: Re: Tojiro ITK 210mm Handle F&F, Rust
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:17 pm 

I don't know if it was a bad idea but I put a drop of
2 part epoxy around the tang when I first get a knife with the gap.

Without checking here first , the tang will probably fall off :)

Douglas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:45 pm 

I would think a bit of epoxy or even some beeswax would help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:58 pm 

if it were me, I would try to knock the handle off, clean up the rust and reattach with some epoxy,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:06 pm 

I am a complete newb with this and am not familiar with working with handles. Could you please explain to me/ direct me to what tools I would need and how to detach and reattach the knife?

Thanks,
Steven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:23 pm 

You can use an epoxy to fill the hole. They couple of times I have done this I mask off the blade, fill the hole with epoxy, remove the masking tape when the epoxy is still pliable but somewhat setup, and then sand the epoxy down to flush with the handle. I have used JB weld but there I have used other epoxies in similar applications in the past.

The down side to simply filling the hole is any corrosion that is in there, and any moisture that remains may keep eating the steel away and one day the tang may fail. I don't think this dooms day scenario is likely but it is possible.

The permanent solution is to knock the handle off, sand the corrosion off then either re epoxy the handle on or epoxy a new handle on.

Here is a video of handle removal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TLOpxONsh0. The handle itself may or may not survive removal. Sometimes if the adhesive used is really good you basically have to break the handle off with a chisel and hammer.

Here are two videos that cover handle fitting and glue-up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhhU7tSq1mQ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcapzGu5tts.

My approach would depend on you. If you are a DIYer and feel like taking on a small but unique shop project do the rehandle. Mark sells handles but there are also a few threads on making your own here. If you are more of the "let the pros do it" variety then consider just gluing it up to close off water infiltration. This is likely to give you years of carefree use without having to tackle a full rehandle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:15 am 

cheffiec wrote:if it were me, I would try to knock the handle off, clean up the rust and reattach with some epoxy,

Do this. For knocking the handle off

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:14 am 

In my experience you will know pretty quickly if it is going to budge or not. I use the basic method shown in that video, and one or two firm hits should make it clear if the handle will separate cleanly or if it is likely to get destroyed in the process or have to be cut off. I don't think there's much harm in trying. If it isn't going to budge then you can reassess, but I'd really want to remove the handle, clean the rust thoroughly, and then reattach and seal with epoxy as others have suggested.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 on removal. I would let the removed handle dry thoroughly, then file or clean up the tang hole a bit to remove some of the rust particles, then epoxy back on, sealing up well at the tang opening.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:31 am 

Thanks a lot everyone! I will give it a try!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next