It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chinese Chopping Block
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:20 pm 

Has anyone had any experience with Chinese-style chopping blocks? Specifically, one made out of a single cross-section of a soft-wooded tree? I'm thinking large. Somewhere around 20" or so.

I've found some at the Wokshop, but I'd prefer to buy locally, if possible, due to shipping. I haven't looked locally, but I feel certain I can find one in Atlanta if not Augusta.

Anyway. have y'all used one of these? any pros and cons? I like the idea that they're inexpensive and a soft wood, like white pine or something, should be very gentle on knife edges.

I've heard stories of them wanting to crack easily and that they must remain wet at all times. Can anyone validate and share experiences?

Post subject: Re: Chinese Chopping Block
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:33 pm 

if it's soft wood then you're good. but if it's the ironwood stuff, that'd be dulling any knife within a few "chops"

=D

afaik, the ones that crack easily are the ironwood blocks. the chinese leave it in water all the time and pull it out from a tub when they need to use it.

just oil up the block with mineral oil and wax it up with board butter

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]