It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Are forged knives better than stamped knives?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I am new to Asian knives have mostly owned German knives and have a question after doing some study on your web site.

I know most good German knives are shaped and made from a piece of forged steel.

From the appearance of most of the Asian knives in the photographs it looks to me as if they might be made from stamped cut metal rather than forged. My general thought is that the stamping method is not as good of a manufacturing process but I kind of think I am missing something in either the way the Asian knives are actually made or with regard to my thinking that the forged knives are better.

Can you please enlighten me on this subject? Am I right that the Asian knives usually made from stamped cut metal? If so, is the stamping process yielding as good a knife as one would end up getting with forged metal?

Thanks very much,
Bob

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Are forged knives better than stamped knives?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

All steel is forged.

With today's steel technology, knives made from sheets of steel are as good as knives made from bars.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 pm 

It absolutely does not matter how you get the knife into the shape you want--hand forging, stamping, cutting, grinding, whatever.

None of it matters because the heat treating happens afterward, so the steel is basically just ingredients when it is formed to shape.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 pm 

You may be seeing that they are often thin and have no integral bolster. This is not because they are cutting corners, it's a cultural difference.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 am 
Forum Moderator

I've seen some videos with the Knives being rough forged from barstock, and then put into a dye and cut out to the correct profile shape. That would also be stamped, but it has the forging background. I think as long as they use good steel, good HT, and take care when forging to stay in the heat limits, either method will work well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

The Germans manufacturers perpetuate this myth as a selling tool that they are doing something special and their knives are "forged" implying that stamped knives are somehow cheap. I get this question sometimes from customers as you can see.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:05 am 

The bigger German manufacturers don't forge the blades any more. They heat strips of steel and upset only the bolster area, then they stamp out the knife. They look like forged knives, but only the bolster is forged. The blades are stamped out.

Hoss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:45 am 

The perfect Chef's knife, as told by every cooking teacher ever, who learned from a Wusthof/Henckels Rep:
It should have a giant belly and thick spine, because it is perfect, because it just happens to match the techniques developed by Chefs who learned to cook at the school Wusthof/Henckels gave free knives too.
It should be balanced perfectly. Which means an inch behind the bolster, that way it naturally falls away from the food, which keeps it safe from the knife.
It should be made in Solingen.(And by that, they mean China, but with a logo of a company that pays taxes in Solingen, Germany).
It should be forged out of FreisenHoffen Iceburgen Deustchlander Steel. Which is 4114 Stainless.
It should be full tang, so it won't fly out of your hand when the scales pop off because you used the spine to stop a battle axe.
It should come with a giant block so you can always have a knife handy for those odd jobs that the chef's knife can't handle--Fish, Poultry, Beef, Tomatoes, Bread, Steaks, Fruit, Mushrooms, Garnishes, Stems, Packaging, Soft Cheese, Hard Cheese, Deli meat, Asian food, Trimming tasks, and anything "sticky"--other than that, they can do anything!

Boy I love German knife companies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Great read Eamon!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

LMBO!! That's funny!

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next