It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: sharpening a x60 cr mo v 14 blade
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 pm 

Ive been trying to sharpen my boss's knife and about to go at it again tonight. It cut like a butter knife when he gave it to me. Its a sanelli professional chef's knife. I sharpen using a motion more parralel to the stone like the video on the chefs knife to go site under chocera 5000. I like this technique for my japanese knife. I'm wondering if it might not be good for soft stainless steel, it doesnt leave much teeth on the blade even with my 1000 grit stone. The only solution i found was to steel it afterwards but im still not satisfied with my results in general. I only used my 1000 grit but i also have a 5000. I have a 400 and a 3000 coming in the mail friday.

Post subject: Re: sharpening a x60 cr mo v 14 blade
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Most sharpening problems like the one you describe (poor results on first attempt on a particular knife) are not caused by the steel but are more likely that you are not grinding the edge properly. This is more common when you sweep the knife I've found than if you section sharpen because it's harder to control the edge angle as you sweep it. Just make sure you get a nice burr on one side of the blade along the entire edge before you flip over the knife and then repeat. That will assure you have the edge ground properly. Then, make sure you deburr the knife. Then clean up the edge by going to a higher grit. Clean up the edge some more with some edge trailing strokes and you should be able to conquer this knife.

Hopefully some other guys that are better sharpeners than I will come on and give you some more advice. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. The Choseras you got are top shelf stones. I hope you enjoy them. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:58 pm 

Thanks mark, i tested on a tomatoe before doing anything else to it and to my surprise it was cutting great. But didnt shave off arm hair and i wanted to make a nicer grind near the heal.

Most of my grinding problems are on the left side of the blade when i'm doing the reverse strokes i guess (with the stone sideways). I get little ridges or little mountains if you will probably due to angle control like you mentionned. I only used my 1000 grit, stropped it a bit on the same stone then removed the burr by lightly sliding the edge on the end of a pressed wood kitchen drawer cause I lost my cork. Maybe i should use a 2/4 instead?

Its shaving off arm hair better now but the tomatoe cutting is the same maybe even a bit inferior? Ill try stealing it a bit more or redoe one last routine on the 1000 grit then clean up the edge on the 5000 like you suggested. If it was my knife id use it for a while and try sum different next time but since i'm giving it back its hard to leave it alone lol. Too much pride i think :P We'll see....

Yeah I <3 my stones! Learned on a scanpan and an old oil stone when i started looking online for a good knife. Fell right into the abyss ;) Started with the chocera 1k and a kiritsuke/gyuto, got the 5000 6-7 months later and just ordered a couple more. They'l last a long time and if i try other type of stones ill have some good to compare too ;) There absolutely flat too just using my conditionning stone. I'm pretty sure anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 am 

Yeah i gotta start feeling for the burr. I used to do it and stopped for some reason. I focus more on how the grind looks but i remember getting awesome results when doing so. Doesnt sweep motion sharpening remove the burr or sum...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:47 pm 

The Sanellis are quite soft. I would suggest to do as with German stainless: sharpen on your new 400, deburr and apply a few very light edge trailing strokes on the 1000, DONE. Higher grits won't work. You lose the bite and the polished edge won't hold.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:34 pm 

Thanks that sounds like a good idea.
I might leave it, let him use it for a while and when it stops cutting ill try that.
Get aquainted with that 400 on some older knives cause ive never tried one.
Any opinion on sweepmotion and loss of bite?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 pm 

With the coarsest stone I like a scrapping motion on a very small surface. But whatever the motion is, after the 400 you won't have to complain about the absence of bite.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]