It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Whipped Dog razor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:26 pm 

So I just received an "unseen" razor from Larry A. over at Whipped Dog Straights. It came in WAY better shape than I expected. But the shave is no good. Larry's directions say that the razor is sharpened and stropped and ready to shave but it pulls hair on my chin and upper lip and is very uncomfortable. I believe my technique is good because I get comfortable shaves with my Dovo Shavette. Is the razor just not sharp enough?

picture because why not? lol

Post subject: Re: Whipped Dog razor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:14 am 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> Difficult question to answer from a photo, but if it doesn't shave... it doesn't shave. Try stropping to refine it, and see if that helps. If it does not, try refining on your finishing stone, strop that on nude leather, and test again. If you still have no luck, go through your full progression, and play around with what finish suits your skin best...

Bear in mind, the Shavette blades are particularly thin & sharp; they will be a totally different shaving experience.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:59 am 

it also could be your beard prep. Are you shaving right out of the shower? you really need to soften the hair and lather well to get a good shave with a straight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 am 

Thanks melampus. The picture was just to show the razor and that it actually looks in decent shape (since u have read some horror stories on the appearance of some of the unseen razors). My beard prep is good I shave out of the shower. Hot towel for three minutes over lather. Then I re-lather before shaving.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've received an unacceptable unseen from him.

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/whipped-dog-t1487.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 am 

Hmmm. Yeah that is one ugly razor. I wonder if taking mine to the compound balsa strop will help. I'm sad that I can't get a comfortable shave with this. And my stones only go up to 6k

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Do you have an eye loupe at all? I have been using one to check my razor edges and it shows things you may normally miss. I have several razors now and am debating sending a few out to get professionally honed so I can compare them to the edges I put on them to see the differences.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> I will say that Larry has an incredible reputation to make good on things. If you communicate your issues with him, I'm sure you can come to a solution. I chalked mine up as garbage, blunted it, and used it as a tester tool to get the mechanics of SR shaving down w/o a blade to my throat.

Furthermore, 6k is not even close to a comfy shave so your SOL with the honing reco. You can absolutely try to refine the edge with your included .3µ chromium oxide, .1µ iron oxide, and hanging leather strops... that's why they're included. Try TAZ's idea, and contrast the difference before & after stropping, as well.

Good luck...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:14 am 

Chiefdan, If you can't get an acceptable shave, send it to me and I'll hone it for you. Tim, you too :D I just plowed through 7 days growth with no issue today on a razor I honed a month ago. I am not a professional, but I feel that the razors I hone are pretty damned good. It may be that I am honing to my own facial hair, but its pretty coarse and dense :) Let me know what's up! Tim, we should set up a honing day sometime...

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:29 am 

stropping on news paper will sometimes help an edge as well

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]