It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:48 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stropping advice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:38 pm 

Just bought my first straight.
It's a S.R. Droescher Classic as shown:

Once received, I am sending it out to be honed.
I am a total newbie, I don't plan on using it much, maybe once every week or two.
My concern is maintaining the edge by stropping.
Can I use what I have described below to strop my razor?
What I have are the 3x11 strops with the magnetic backs that Mark sells here. I use them to strop my knives.
I have Felt, Balsa, Cow Leather, and Horse butt leather.
These all seem similar to a paddle strop, so can I use these for stropping the razor?
I have Green buffing compound, that is chromium oxide right?
Also have 1 micron diamond spray, and alumina suspension.
Can I get the job done with what I have. Or should I consider buying a traditional hanging strop with leather and linen?

Post subject: Re: Stropping advice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have the strop base and the Horse, Cow and Roo 3x11 strops for my SR's too. You should be able to use the setup for the straight razor. I have an Illinois 127 and a SRD Premier 1 strop for my razors. The linen side works well to clean the edge, I am guessing the felt should be similar to clean the edge and then strop on the leather. I often take my 2 piece strops and put them on the counter and strop like that so I don't use too much pressure and round the edge out. Illinois 127 was under $50 IIRC.

Not sure on the Green compound, Chromium Oxide comes in different grits, so it's hard to tell that the buffing compound actually is grit wise. I have some 1/2 micron CrOX, and 1 Micron Boron Carbide paste and 1/2 and 1/4 micron CBN sprays, all on Balsa strops. The 1 micron diamond spray may be too "coarse" feeling even though it is 1 micron. I would spend the $$ and pick up a 2 piece strop (mainly for the linen side to clean the blade edge if the felt strop doesn't do it; never tried Felt on a SR edge, but I am wondering if it would be too soft and round the edge??) and a small container of 1/2 micron CrOx.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:54 pm 

I think what you have will be fine. Going from knives to razors I had to learn to be much gentler - the edge is more fragile obviously - it's a lot easier to do that on a "bench" strop than a hanging strop. With a hanging strop it's easier to "roll" the edge over. As far as the compounds I think you just have to try them out - it seems everyone is different in that regard. For me, an edge doesn't feel quite right until i put it over cbn a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:52 pm 

Thanks for the tips guys.
Since I am just getting started, and do not plan to use this razor that much, I am trying to maintain the razor without breaking the bank.
It is going to cost me more to maintain the razor than it did to buy it. :roll:

Anyhow I just got an Enesco leather and linen strop on the cheap. It will need some conditioning, but I have the stuff to do that.
What if anything would you suggest I put on the linen side of the strop?
I also just ordered a pre loaded balsa strop from Whipped Dog. It comes with .3 chromium oxide on one side, and .1 iron oxide on the other. Plus some spares of each in a small bag.
I realize I won't need this right away, not until the edge no longer feels right stropping on the leather.

Got some .5 micron diamond paste coming. I can put that on one of my magnetic balsa strops just before I finish on bare leather.

I have my eye on a double sided leather paddle strop in very good condition. If I can get it for the right price I can try stropping on a flat surface as suggested.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:17 pm 

I don't use the linen side - I actually think it hurts rather than helps the edge. There's some micrographs done by Science of Sharp that show it in detail.

I think for how you're going to use it and from what you've described you've set yourself up well.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]