It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Silvertip Badger Brush from Whipped Dog
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:30 pm 

2 weeks ago I received a 30MM knot silvertip badger brush from Whipped Dog.
On Larry's suggestion I had him drill the handle 5MM deeper to give the brush more backbone.
When I received the brush, including a small packet of Oxy Clean detergent, I followed his directions and
soaked the brush 3 times with the warm water Oxy Clean solution, rinsing after each soaking.
Then I washed the brush with some shampoo and warm water, rinsed, and let it dry.
There has been no discernible animal odor from the brush at all.

Wow! what a brush! The plume is huge! It works outstanding with shaving cream, and very well with shave soap as long as you soak the
soap puck in some warm water to soften it before use. (You are supposed to do that anyway) :oops:

I have not lost even one hair from the brush since I began using it.
The brush cost $49 shipped.
I shopped lots of silvertip badger brushes and can truly say this is the best deal I could find.
I can easily compare the value to brushes double the price.

On the down side, the brush handle has a 33MM diameter at it's smallest point. I had trouble locating a shaving stand that would accommodate such a fat handle.
I finally found one at West Coast Shaving. I had to stretch the opening just a MM or two to get the brush handle to fit. Fortunately I did not break it
and now it is a perfect fit.
If I had to do it all over again, I think I would of ordered the brush with a 24MM knot. The plume would still be substantial, and I would of had many more choices in a shaving stand with a 24MM brush.
Over all though I really enjoy the brush which should provide many years of service.

Post subject: Re: Silvertip Badger Brush from Whipped Dog
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:30 pm 

Philly, you can also use hair conditioner after the shampoo - that softens everything up real nice. I've heard of guys using Borax as a disinfectant but I've never tried that.
I started with a 22mm then tried larger knots but ended up liking the 22mm best. Seems to work best for me....

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]