It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Learning curve?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:26 pm 

I am thinking of switching from safety razor to straight razor but was concerned with the learning curve as well as the time required? Is there a huge difference going from one to the other? Should I think of the straight razor as a weekend drive in the country car and the safety as the daily commuter?

Post subject: Re: Learning curve?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:59 pm 

it takes time to master. nothing you should start doing half hearted imo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 pm 

Mr.Magnus wrote:it takes time to master. nothing you should start doing half hearted imo.

I agree. Commit yourself to it. You will learn and master it much faster if you make the commitment. It will be slow going if you only try it once a week on the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:47 pm 

I've had my straight razor for 3 days. My first shave was ok, but I left some rough spots. The second day was a little better, and the 3rd day was actually a pretty good shave. To tell the truth, I haven't had many bloody spots.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:17 pm 

I agree with everyone above. Learn to use both hands and take it slow. Once you get that first 'perfect' shave, you'll never go back!! I also recommend to try the straight on the sideburn/cheek area first. Finish with the DE. From there, add areas as you get more comfortable and figure out the proper angles and such.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

XO <> I've found matching razor design (i.e., hollow/half-hollow/wedge) to skin type is paramount. I have an Über coarse beard & particularly sensitive skin... I'm a full wedge kinda guy.. hollows get closer, but burn like a bee sting on me.

I also suggest practicing ad nauseum on a blunted tester. My first straight was from WhippedDog, and as it was absolute garbage frowning from ear to ear, instead of tossing it where it belonged into the circle file - I blunted it & used it as a practice tool.

You must stick with it to perfect your craft. I'm guessing I'm two years in, and I can only shave on days off... :lol: when they come. No way can I blast through a perfect shave closer than any straight shave I've had yet w/o even a hint of burn in 2 minutes like I can with a disposable racing to work. It's a total luxury activity to me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]