It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a good strop
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:09 pm 

Is the art of shaving strop a good strop for $80 or is there another strop that is recommended for either the same price or less?

Post subject: Re: Looking for a good strop
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:15 pm 

It seems like it's over priced like most things there. Straight razor designs would be similar prices, but likely significantly higher quality.

I went with a Star Shaving OVB English bridle. Very happy with it, I think it was something like 50 dollars.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:24 pm 

Thank you Luca for the response. And I agree with the "overpriced" remark with regards to the Art of Shaving. I hate buying anything from that store.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:59 am 
Forum Moderator

I got a nice Illinois 127 strop from Classic Shaving for under $50, but I wasn't paying attention and put a nice slice in it :( The slice is up near the gold lettering, so I can still use it, but I gotta pay more attention to what I am doing. I also have 2 of the 3x11 balsa strops from CKTG and I use .5 and .25 CBN on them after the J Nats and before the leather strop. Gonna get some Roo leather next :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:32 pm 

I have a Premiere Strop Co. that was ordered from Shave Nation. I like it a lot, but I have no other experience to compare it with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:25 pm 

I have a Tony Miller Steer Hide.I got for $60 used off of one of the shaving sites BST sections. It was nearly NIB. No nicks or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

" Gonna get some Roo leather next"

I think Kangaroo leather offers the finest finish for straight razors (or knives). Available here on CKTG in sizes 1x6, 2x6 3x8 and 3x11". If they are out of a size or you have custom requirements, contact me directly. You can use this leather plain or with fine abrasive compounds. I find that flat strops or bench strops offer more precision and less rounding off of the edges, so you don't need to return to the stones as often. The Kangaroo is a much thinner leather, so there is less chance of rounding off your edges. With compounds, you can use the strops to as fine a grit as 620,000 grit (0.025 micron polycrystalline diamond) for as fine a finish as is available (This is no longer available on CKTG, so order directly from me).

---
Ken

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:33 pm 

I say get a hanging strop in english bridle and linen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:14 pm 

I can't speak to the english bridle and linen that Mr. M recommends but he's a fellow I've learned to trust and perhaps someday i'll try that material. Having said that, I also trust Ken and use Kangaroo exclusively whether it's for my compounds or for plain stropping. It is an excellent material that I know will give very good results however you choose to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:15 am 

Kangaroo keather is also great. However its madness to strop on a smal basestrop. SRD carries a roo strop in your price range. I Have that one and its getting the job done good. My favorite is quality english bridle thou and linen as webbing. Clean no compund. Linen is more abrasive then cotton so no need for dressing

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next