It is currently Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Torrey straights
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:18 am 

Recently picked up a 6/8 Torrey straight for $17 on eBay. Had one a while back that was 5/8 that I eventually sold, despite being a solid shaver. I went through a period of continually buying and selling blades, but eventually stopped that and settled into the same 4 blades for the last few years. They are big hitters from Sheffield and Sweden.

Randomly had the urge to pick up something new and searched all of the bigger euro vintages that I had decided were my top shavers and didn't come up with any prospects in a price I would consider.

Then I searched for some of the more sought after Americans and again wasn't finding much of interest. Eventually found this Torrey. Great shape, heavy weight, feels like a Wostenholm or something, but am guessing it is just a much older American than I am used to. Hot damn is it a good shaver. Took a spectacular clean edge off my ozuku asagi and has just been stunningly good so far.

I feel like Torreys are undervalued, even compared to Robeson and Clauss and the like. They don't command a great price but this is every bit as good a shaver as my heljestrand at five times the price.

Post subject: Re: Torrey straights
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:33 pm 

I agree completely! I've gone through about 4 or 5 of them myself. Your story sounds the same as mine...buy, try, sell, buy, etc. I'm down to 12 or 13 that are in a rotation with another 3 or 4 that aren't. I don't currently have a Torrey, but I have a Swedish Razor Company (also from Worcester) that I just used and its phenomenal. Easily as good a shaver as anything else I own (except the 2 Japanese western straights...those are on a whole different level). I find Torreys around here at flea markets and antique stores fairly often.

Great pick up!

Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:31 pm 

The rust belt knew how to produce some serious razors before it got so rusty.

What happened to this forum anyway? I feel like there used to be a lot of activity here and now sits inactive for six months at a time. Was Mr Magnus the only person keeping this alive back then? I feel like I miss the razor chat that used to go on here, but not enough to contribute to follow badger and blade or SRF.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:05 pm 

It definitely seems that Mr Magnus was the driving force behind this forum. I used to follow Badger and Blade, but since I quit buying and selling, it got repetitive pretty fast. I haven't been on SRP in a while either...

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:21 am 
Forum Moderator

I haven't bought many SR's lately. Got my Fowler W2 smiling Kamisori double bevel, a Super G Ribbon, Hasekawa smiler, Feon and my Iwasaki Smiler; those are my 4 main go to blades for several months now plus my Ralf Aust and Gottlieb Hammesfahr, both of which need touching up currently. I haven't even opened my box of other razors in a while or used my NOS Cherub SR yet!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]