It is currently Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Want to switch to safety razor. What and where?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:41 pm 

As the add goes, those multi blade cartridges are too expensive and no matter how I try to mitigate clogging, it happens and no doubt this shortens the life of the cartridge.

Since I find that I like holding the handle close to the business end, I am guessing that a short handle would be my preference. Already use a cream and brush.

Any suggestions on a quality safety razor and source to purchase?

For blades, again, just guessing, a variety pack?

Post subject: Re: Want to switch to safety razor. What and where?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:33 pm 

If you want to buy one razor that will last you the rest of your life take a look at Above the Tie razors. They run about $185 but are the very best you can buy right now (in my opinion). The manufacturer offers a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it you send it back for a full refund. I'd recommend the S1 or S2 head with it depending on if you want an open comb or straight bar razor.

http://www.abovethetie.com/product/atla ... WoO9tJVhBc

http://www.abovethetie.com/product/atla ... WoPGdJVhBc

Atlas is the shortest handle then Kronos (my preference) then Collasus.

If you don't want to spend the cash for the ATT then most people new to this start out with a Edwin Jagger DE89 or one of the Merkur razors which are both made of pot metal and last about 2 to five years or one good drop.

RazoRock has a line of razors that have pot metal heads but all stainless steel handles for around $40. One is called the SLAB. The heads won't last forever but at least the handle will. It's slightly on the aggressive side.

http://www.italianbarber.com/products/r ... fety-razor

There's also another company making high quality razor out of Canada called Wolfman razors that are getting great reviews. Same deal with the warranty and the quality is on par with the ATT stuff. So a lifetime razor here as well. About the same price range, maybe a bit less but there's a waiting list for them.

http://wolfmanrazors.com/

You can always pick up a vintage razor to start with as well for around the $30 mark. I'd recommend you soak it in Barbacide before using it though. You can get the Barbicide at your local Sally's Beauty Supply for around $8 for a large bottle.

For blades I'd stick with a 100 pack of Astra SP's to start with. They are a good all around blade that performs well in just about every razor. Changing brands of blades all the time will just slow your learning curve. After you can get a great shave all the time then you might want to try some other blades like Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows, Feather, Polsilver Super Iridium, PermaSharp and Gillette Silver Blues. I usually find the best prices on blades by searching Amazon but they are available at all of the shaving sites.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:40 pm 

Also, do keep in mind that this takes a bit of practice to get good at it and your shaves won't be good at first. Most people start getting great shaves only after about a month or so of everyday shaving. So, do know that it takes some practice and can be difficult at first.

If you want some links to help you get started just let me know. It's quite a bit different from a cart razor. If you try to shave the same with it as you do with a cart razor it will punish you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:16 am 
Forum Moderator

I started with an EJ89, then got a Parker 22R and 24C. With the 24C and Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge Yellows, I got a great shave, no razor burn. I then tried a Merkur 37D slant bar razor. The same Gillette Yellows give a close shave, but a ton of weepers. Found the Voskhod Russian blades work great for me in the Slant bar; close shave, no weepers. I would get a few variety packs of razor blades to see what you like. Everyone's face is different. MaggardRazors.com is where I buy the vast majority of my razor needs. I like that I can make up my own variety pack of blades to try. Gillette Silver Blues, Feather, Personna Reds, Astra, Derby, and many others were was too harsh on my face; I have sensitive skin, but a very wiry, coarse beard. Gillette & O'Clock Yellow Sharp Edge and Shark Super Stainless were my 2 go to blades in the Parker 24C, but the Slant Bar Merkur 37 took over as my favorite DE razor so far. It gives a closer shave with less irritation on my neck because the blade is presented at an angle to the hair and seems to but my wiry beard much better. I still use SR's occasionally, usually for 2 passes and them do the last pass with the slant, but the slant is pretty quick for me now.

RazoRock is my fave brand of soaps currently, the Maggards Fine lather bowl works very well for me, the Franks Finest grade badger brush whips up lots of lather, but still has good backbone to load up easily and face lather, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:27 am 

Shaving with a DE is a YMMWV thing. Blades, soaps etc. What works for one won't work with another. I settled into a a 1968 Gillette Fatboy with Gillette 7 OClock blacks. Soap is dependent on where I'm shaving. Everytime I move I need to try different soaps. Currently its a plain Valobra. Old place was Mitchell's Wool Fat or Art of Shaving Lavendar.

I started with a Merkur 1904. An inexpensive option that worked well. Just take your time and don't expect a miracle overnight. You should see better shaves but damn fine shaves will take a little bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:07 pm 

Hey Panko
The Gillette Fatboy was only made for 4 years. 1958 to 1961. The letter code is D E F or G. If your razor was made in 1968 then it's a Slim Adjustable letter code G-N. I have a Slim, shaves great. I also have the black handle Super Slim which is not quite as aggressive.
When I got back into DE shaving, I went to Italian Barber. Picked up the Razorock Mission, that comes with 15 blades, and a variety pack of blades for $25. You also have to get a shaving brush, and some shaving soap. $50 will more than get you started. You can't go wrong with the Razorock line of shaving soaps and after shave splashes.
I shaved for a year on one plastic cup of Proraso which costs $12.
You can get started on the cheap, and unless you get crazy like these hobbyists that have 20 different shave soaps, aftershaves, and every razor blade in existence, it will end up a significant savings over cartridge razors.
Besides the Razorock Mission, I have a bunch of vintage Gillettes, both fixed blade and adjustable. I was lucky enough to get a Razorock Stealth Slant V3 back in December. With a Feather blade, it is hands down the best shaver I own.
The Astra SP is a good choice. I just put one in my Fatboy, it was a very smooth shave.
You will find that different razors like different blades, so just experiment until you find the combo that works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 pm 

phillysco wrote:Hey Panko
The Gillette Fatboy was only made for 4 years. 1958 to 1961. The letter code is D E F or G. If your razor was made in 1968 then it's a Slim Adjustable letter code G-N. I have a Slim, shaves great. I also have the black handle Super Slim which is not quite as aggressive.
When I got back into DE shaving, I went to Italian Barber. Picked up the Razorock Mission, that comes with 15 blades, and a variety pack of blades for $25. You also have to get a shaving brush, and some shaving soap. $50 will more than get you started. You can't go wrong with the Razorock line of shaving soaps and after shave splashes.
I shaved for a year on one plastic cup of Proraso which costs $12.
You can get started on the cheap, and unless you get crazy like these hobbyists that have 20 different shave soaps, aftershaves, and every razor blade in existence, it will end up a significant savings over cartridge razors.
Besides the Razorock Mission, I have a bunch of vintage Gillettes, both fixed blade and adjustable. I was lucky enough to get a Razorock Stealth Slant V3 back in December. With a Feather blade, it is hands down the best shaver I own.
The Astra SP is a good choice. I just put one in my Fatboy, it was a very smooth shave.
You will find that different razors like different blades, so just experiment until you find the combo that works for you.

Yeah, its 50's production. 1957 with the c-3 date code. Its all Fatboy. The Slim feels too small after using the Fatboy for five years. I like the Superspeeds too. Super shaves from those!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:52 am 

If you really want to have the best straight razor for your shaving purpose. Then you can have Master USA made shaving razor which I am also using for my everyday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:10 am 

wphill wrote:As the add goes, those multi blade cartridges are too expensive and no matter how I try to mitigate clogging, it happens and no doubt this shortens the life of the cartridge.

Since I find that I like holding the handle close to the business end, I am guessing that a short handle would be my preference. Already use a cream and brush.

Any suggestions on a quality safety razor and source to purchase?

For blades, again, just guessing, a variety pack?

---

wphill - Like others, I started with an EJ89 handle. It's too short for me, but based on your comment it would be as good a place as any to start for you. The recommendation is similar to a JK knife newbie showing up here and wanting to dip his toe into the pond so to speak.

Taz graciously sent me his left over variety pack when I started down this same road as you about a year ago. There are probably ten to twelve different varieties in there (5 packs). A few of which look like they were lesser blades than the rest simply based on packaging. I'd very much like to pay it forward and send the blades on to you along with a couple others. FWIW I settled on the Feather blades. I tried 4-5 different ones in the pack.

My routine was to only vary the blade and keep everything else as close to the same as possible. I never went more than three shaves, with two passes per shave on each blade before swapping it out. I was able to rule some out the first round, while others made it to a second round to revisit. After trying out the contenders a second go round it was clear to me which one favored my skin best.

If interested, shoot me a PM and I'll get the blades out to you when you are ready.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:46 am 

I started with one from a local antique store and found a lovely Gillette Fat boy for a whole $10. Love it so much.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]