It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stone sufficiency
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 pm 

I currently have shapton glass stones in 4000 and 8000. I also have the snow white stone. Have a balsa and a leather strop with boron carbide paste, 1 micron, and diamond spray in .25 micron. Is there anything else I really should have to recondition a straight, or just keep one shave ready? I've heard the diamond spray is not as desirable for straights as chromium oxide. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Stone sufficiency
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 pm 

Just read a similar post in sharpening. Might have answered my question. If you've got a different recommendation by all means chime in. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm 

For reconditioning, I'd add a 1k or maybe a 400 diamond plate to set the bevel.

If you stop at 8k, spend some time on the strop with the boron carbide and chromium oxide.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Diamond spray at particle sizes over .25 micron give a harsh shave. Beyond that it gets smoother and sharper. CBN in this range is a more comfortable edge. Chromium oxide gives a comfortable edge, but not as sharp as CBN or diamond in the finer grits.

For maintenance, I strop with 0.1 micron CBN or 0.025 micron polycrystalline diamond usually on Kangaroo, which gives me an optimal shave.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:08 am 

I'm thinking about picking up the Snow White stone as well. If you can share how it is compared to the Shapton Glass stone I'd really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:02 am 

The glass stone is much harder. When you use it there is not a lot of feedback and really no mud. There will be very slight swarf but not mud. It is convenient to use since it is splash and go and does do a good job for certain things. I prefer the Snow White. It is softer and produces a slightly creamy mud if you build it and work in it without watering it down. Does a great job with a high polish and has a much better feel IMO. I use it slightly differently between knives and razors. Depends on how much mud I build up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:57 am 

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. The answer you gave me helps a lot.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]