It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: This is a topic I thought we should put on here
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

This was my idea and I thought it was an untapped subject that should be addressed because a lot of us shave with str8ight razors and lets talk about our favorite razor the worse razors not to buy and the antiques that we love to see. I convinced mark to put this up and let's have fun with it. Peace jmbullman

Post subject: Re: This is a topic I thought we should put on here
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Yes you did James. Thanks for the idea. Now you have to fill it with 5,000 posts. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Dam just 5000, you love giving me a challenge don't you. Haha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:09 am 
Forum Moderator

Ill sharpen up my zwilling and put a few pics up tomorrow and if Michael or Jens start putting up pics u might need a bigger server. Haha they are stacked with razors and so are a few others

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:38 am 
Forum Moderator

I haven't been around in a minute & a topic that kept surfacing in my mind was which straight edge would I end up choosing when the funds free up to purchase one. I'm ignorant on this subject as a virgin thereto, but excited to pop my cherry.

Happy to see this new forum topic as I had often thought it was needed. Can't wait to learn from others experience & wade through others opinions...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 am 
Forum Moderator

I believe this is going to be one of our top topics once the word gets out and I believe it will introduce str8ight razor sharpeners an introduction to the Japanese knife world which we all have a passion for. Peace and let's get these forums a moving! Peace, jmbullman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:31 pm 

Lets just say this is an elitist topic with great potential. I remember my uncles strop. I only shave my arms to test my knives,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

I used to think the exact same thing if it will cut paper and arm hair it will cut food. I was wrong had a few knifes come back to me from good customers I was stunned I have never had that problem before, the knifes came back I cut hair and was like these people are crazy, I had some cherry tomatoes in the fridge and a tomato skin is the ultimate test I went to cut one and all it did was smash the tomato i grabbed another one same thing so I watched by looking at my edge while trying the pierce the skin, the edge was actually rolling to the side so is it possible to get a knife to sharp yes while cutting hair one your arm the blade is basically flat no pressure and was popping hair like a mother so I backed off a couple of stones and left it a little toothy and the knife cut like a dream. I was concentrating on being super shiny sharp and forgetting to leave a little tooth in the knife. I learned valuable lesson from this yes it's ok to be super shiny but don't make the edge to thin while doing so and leave some tooth in the knife and you can have the best of both worlds, I also thinned behind the edge a little and that even helped more. I am just telling this to keep people from making the same mistake i did either back off the stones a little if your not cutting super steel m390, cpm154 etc and use a either stop with a lower grit or backstrop on a higher stone if you want a little more shine or use some substrates to dial some tooth in. I made my edges to thin and without tooth I was going for the super shiny see your face in the edge and the bad part was I knew better. Now every week I buy a carton of cherry tomatoes and test on that if it will push and pull cut with little to no restince it will cut any thing else, a tomato skin will not lie to you but paper and hair will. Just trying to help take it with a grain of salt or use this Info. Now a razor is different if it cuts hair on your arm I should cut hair on your face. Hope I helped if this was useless to everyone sorry for the boring read just trying to save a headache or two. Peace jmbullman

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]