It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: >> Kanenaga vs. Kamisori <<
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ok... batter up.

I have about five purchases on my list (waiting arrival) preceding my straight edge, but of the current CKTG inventory let's talk.

Who has owned & shaved with them?

Pros vs. Cons?

White 2 vs. White :?:

Double edged hollow grind vs. Single edged :?:

$400 : $160 is a BIG spread... that's an Atoma & a 75mm petty to me!

Post subject: Re: >> Kanenaga vs. Kamisori <<
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:26 pm 

What are you shaving with now?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 am 
Forum Moderator

RICK <> As I mentioned, I'm a straight edge virgin... outside of the novelty of trying out one of my KonoHD's for shits & giggles. It did surprisingly well, but it is what it is.

I use a disposable (Gillette Fusion 5) :roll: ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 am 

I asked because if you are just starting out, a Japanese straight razor may not be the best choice. I have a kamisori and shaving with it is quite different from a Western straight razor. Because kamisoris are asymmetrical, the angle at which you hold it differs from one side to the other, unlike a symmetrical Western razor.

My suggestion would be to start with an inexpensive straight. Larry Andro, who runs Whipped Dog (http://whippeddog.com), has an excellent beginner's package for well under $100. A shave ready razor, both a leather and a balsa strop plus a brush and soap.

But, if you have determined that you want a kamisori, I would recommend the less expensive option. The grind is the same for both - asymmetrical - and the only real differences that I can see is the wrapping on the handle and in the pics the more expensive kamisori seems to have a higher degree of polish.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:55 am 
Forum Moderator

RICK <> I'm by no means bent on the high dollar Japanese product(s), but I have come to recognize they are often worth the premium. I have browsed at whippeddog before, and was very close to pulling the trigger on the package you reference... much closer now.

Thank you...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Please let me know how they work I find them quite interesting over my standard str8ight razor. It's fun to shave with anything that resembles a knife espically one sharpened by ones self. Just think 60-80 yrs ago its was the only option beside the safety razor which I find still bring a priemium if its the rite one. I have never tried one a safety razor is there any difference compared to the ones as in say Gillette throwaways? Always wondered and now I am remembering my father coming out of the bathroom with enough toilet paper on the cuts he achieved from using one I guess their is a difference. Peace jmbullman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rick, aside from the obvious handle wrapping and the even more expensive layered steel kamasori, the non visible difference is in the steel itself. The precision of the forging process is a more subtle difference that can't be seen, but best appreciated when honing.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]