It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton Glass Stones for the EP REVIEW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

I wrote my review and posted it on my blog. If you guys and girls have any questions, ask away!

http://belgiansharpening.wordpress.com/ ... -edge-pro/

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Post subject: Re: Shapton Glass Stones for the EP REVIEW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 am 

I read your review and would like your advice and/or opinion. I recently got the 2k stone for the EP and like it a lot. It leaves a nice finish and cuts faster than other stones I've used that leave similar finishes. I ordered the 6k and will have it in a day or two. I was going to get the 8k but it is out of stock. After I use the 6k I'll know if I need (want) any higher grits.

Here is where I'd like your opinion. I have stones that will remove steel fast and also are inexpensive. They leave a finish that is easily improved all the way to mirror with stropping. You recommend the 220 stone and two others for a 3 stone set for the EP. Is the 220 beneficial compared to the other stones I have only based on reducing the number of stones? Specifically, if the stone progression from 220 to 2k to 6k is acceptable without additional stones between the 220 and 2k grits that is what I'd prefer. The coarser grit stones I'm using now include the EP water stones and others from congresstools.com. If I needed to remove a lot of steel and take the edge to a mirror finish would a 3 stone set of the GS stones work? Right now, with the stones I have I'd use 3, maybe 4 stones before using the 2k Shapton glass stone. If I could reduce this to a 3 stone set I'd like to. Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Going from the 220 to the 2k is quite a stretch imo. I would add the 1k Glass stone in the line up. 220, 1k, 2k, 6k is a nice progression and should suit you well.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:34 am 
Forum Moderator

....mmmmmm......

My favorite edge is 500# then jump to 8K (shaving sharp yet toothy)

OR

1k then jump to 16k (shaving sharp better for push cutting - still nice and toothy)

And this is 2 stone progression.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:42 am 
Forum Moderator

I know, but he wanted a mirror :D

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:48 am 
Forum Moderator

...aagh ok, my bad...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 am 

Ok, 220 to 2k is not advisable. But, adding the 1k seems a little close to the 2k which I already have. Wouldn't I do better by adding a 320 or 500 to the 220 instead of the 1k? Or maybe just getting a 500 instead of the 220 (adding only one instead of two stones)? I've only used the 2k so far. The 6k should be here tomorrow. For one more coarser stone, now I'm thinking the 500 would be best if a jump from 220 to 2k is too great. With the 500, 2k, 6k I could then decide if I want a coarser or a finer grit stone after I see how these three do.

Does this sound like a plan?

I'll be surprised if I want anything finer than the 6k judging by the performance of the 2k. I can eliminate most of any scratch pattern from any stone just by stroking the edge with a parallel stroke with the edge instead of the normal perpendicular stroke. Or maybe a little circular motion (which I don't do) but it's the same theory. On the EP I stroke straight into the edge but before I go to the next finer grit I slide the stone along the edge from heel to tip a few strokes with very little pushing or pulling. This changes the finish tremendously without changing stones.

I doubt if I will ever need a 16k or 30k stone. However, I don't really need these either. :D

I may want the 220 later if I want a coarser stone than the 500 just to have a set of Shapton Glass stones eliminating the need for the other ones I have. They would always be there for seriously damaged edges or something.

Thanks for your advice guys. If you see any flaw in my thinking please let me know.

Jack

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]