It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening plan sound right? Kikuichi Warikomi.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:09 am 

Hi. So first time sharpening one of my better knives. Does this sound about right?

I'll be reprofiling my Kikuichi Warikomi Damascus Guto 210. This is a VG10 core clad knife.

- I'd like to go for a 12* bevel. Is this too acute?
- Stones are all Shapton Glass.
- Was thinking 500, 1000, 4000, 6000. [I have an 8000 too but thinking I pass on that.]
- Strop, balsa 1 micron, horse butt.

Any thoughts? This is my favorite knife so I pretty much want to get it right.

Thanks all.

Post subject: Re: Sharpening plan sound right? Kikuichi Warikomi.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:50 am 

That's a great progression for that knife.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:26 am 
Forum Moderator

ROB <> "Is 12º too acute?" Is a damascus Kato too expensive? Jestful analogy aside, "too acute" is relative. Too acute for what... to do what? Your knife IS hard enough to take that edge, but it will obviously be at the expense of edge strength. Be conscious of this amid usage and you should be fine, but be aware you are more prone to chipping.

I agree with M&M's, in that your choice of stone & progression will work very well. Be mindful a 6k SG equals 2.5µ & an 8k SG equals 1.8µ. Point being, you can play around w/stropping on your 8k in comparison to or simply preceding your stropping on 1µ balsa.

Good luck, and I suggest before & after photos for your own reference. If you are comfortable, we would love to see them, as well, but mostly it should be done for your own reference.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:12 pm 

Thanks for the advice. Completely appreciate the humor.

My replies in line:

Melampus wrote:ROB <> "Is 12º too acute?" Is a damascus Kato too expensive? Jestful analogy aside, "too acute" is relative. Too acute for what... to do what? Your knife IS hard enough to take that edge, but it will obviously be at the expense of edge strength. Be conscious of this amid usage and you should be fine, but be aware you are more prone to chipping.

Rob: Got it. Without thinking was wondering if there was a compelling reason not to. I'm a home cook using an Epicurean (wood fiber) cutting surface.

- Honestly interested in seeing what the knife can do. One handed tomato, that sort of stuff.
- I do a fair amount of rock chopping.
- Pinch grip. Was always a slicer but have noticed as my knives and edges have gotten better I'm doing more chopping.
- Don't know enough to know what I don't know. Want to make sure I'm not going to be reprofiling or .... who knows what again in a week ... by going to 12* Or now that I think about it why not 10* or 8*? Just to be ridiculous.

Short Form: Since I don't know what I don't know is there some point - or more precisely acute angle - given the profile above where I'm likely to be disappointed and need to reprofile again? Safely before that point is where I'd want to stop.

quote="Melampus"]
I agree with M&M's, in that your choice of stone & progression will work very well. Be mindful a 6k SG equals 2.5µ & an 8k SG equals 1.8µ. Point being, you can play around w/stropping on your 8k in comparison to or simply preceding your stropping on 1µ balsa.[/quote]

Rob: OK. So this has me wondering. It's pretty simple to swap in an 8K stone. Are you suggesting I could skip the balsa and go straight to the horse butt? Or something else? What's a good way to decide?

quote="Melampus"]Good luck, and I suggest before & after photos for your own reference. If you are comfortable, we would love to see them, as well, but mostly it should be done for your own reference.[/quote]

Rob: Happy to. Will even pry one of the good cameras away from my wife if she'll teach me how to use it. :lol: So, and shaking my head and laughing at my own naivete, What exactly am I to take a picture of? I've seen pictures of edges posted but have no idea what I'm looking at....

Once again, thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:50 pm 

12º is a good target. Just remember that most of the work will be done with the first stone.

Rob - I interpreted Mel's comment about the 8k stone to mean you could play around as using your 8k as a "strop" and see how the finished product compares to your original progression of 6k -> balsa. OR simply add the 8k to the progression prior to the balsa. My last stone is an 8k GS and I finish with the same strop combo as you. The 1micron is ~16k grit so going from 8k to 16k is a great step. It would not be wasted effort IMO to add the 8k into the mix and it's most likely only going to be a few swipes with it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:46 am 

FWIW, I have this exact knife out on loan to a pro chef friend. It's at 12 degrees , finished a 5 k . Stropped with 1 micron diamond on leather ( really just confirming no burr) . He has good knife skills. Still sharp, no chips , with just weekly touch ups for 6 weeks, he still claims the knife is super. He doesn't rock as much as push or pull cut. I believe it extends the life of the edge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:47 am 

Mrmnms wrote:FWIW, I have this exact knife out on loan to a pro chef friend. It's at 12 degrees , finished a 5 k . Stropped with 1 micron diamond on leather ( really just confirming no burr) . He has good knife skills. Still sharp, no chips , with just weekly touch ups for 6 weeks, he still claims the knife is super. He doesn't rock as much as push or pull cut. I believe it extends the life of the edge.

What cutting surface/board is your friend using, I find I get more micro chipping on harder boards at 12°

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]