It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: EP Apex - Pivot Arm Mod
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:52 am 

Having read & watched Madrookie’s posts (edgepro-pro-angle-degree-arm-upgrade-t2878.html) on the “slop” in the angle arm pivot for his EP Pro, I checked out the pivot block on my Apex and it was also well flogged out. I noticed that a number of people had asked about a similar mod for the Apex.

What works for the Pro won’t work for the Apex, so I spent a bit of time coming up with lots weird & wonderful ideas, but nothing really gelled. Was sat looking at the Apex one day & had one of those “eureka” moments.

The answer was already part of the EP Apex and was staring me in the face. Between the stone and the knob at the end, is a piece of brass tubing, which is a pretty snug fit on the rod itself. With EP being based in the States I figured the OD was probably ⅜” (9.525mm). The pivot block was just wide enough to cope with it being used as a bushing. So a 9.5mm drill gave a slight press fit. I very carefully drilled out the pivot block and pressed the brass tube in, leaving 2 or 3mm protruding either at end to make removal easy if required. Replaced the brass tube with a spring, which was a bonus upgrade. All you need is a bench vice a 9.5mm drill or imperial equivalent. See links to the pictures below.

To try & prevent this flogging out in the same manner, I now wet the stones but wipe them off before using so that there is no free water but they are moist enough to capture any particles of stone. I re-moisten a stone if it starts to dry out & wash it down once I’ve finished with it to stop it loading up. The other thing that I do is after every four or five knives, is take the arm out of the brass tube and use silicon spray to clean both down & reassemble. The silicon also helps to lubricate.

All care, no responsibility, but it has worked out very well for me. This is a bit of a summary so if you have any queries don’t hesitate to ask.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/787 ... to%201.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/787 ... to%202.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/787 ... to%203.jpg

Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!

Post subject: Re: EP Apex - Pivot Arm Mod
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:03 am 

Wow!! Superb idea!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:56 am 

Great idea, was going today to chat to my engineering firm about producing a steel block , but I might try this, the only issue I see here is brass can wear as fast as plastic.
Now bronze would be a better idea....if I'm not mistaken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:16 am 

Just did some measurements, the block doesn't have much meat on the side wall so you need to be precise with the 9.5mm drill bit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:19 am 

Is there a reason you have the block flipped around?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:49 am 

Eldergeek wrote:Great idea, was going today to chat to my engineering firm about producing a steel block , but I might try this, the only issue I see here is brass can wear as fast as plastic.
Now bronze would be a better idea....if I'm not mistaken

I wouldn't use a steel block, but I had thought about replacing the smaller plastic block (the one that rotates) with a bronze machined one. Bronze would be better, but in this situation I just used what was there. I'll let you know how the wear thing goes.

Cheers Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:55 am 

Eldergeek wrote:Just did some measurements, the block doesn't have much meat on the side wall so you need to be precise with the 9.5mm drill bit

Yeah, well spotted. The bronze block was my plan"B". I used a brand new drill bit, in a hand held drill at slow speed and held my breath when I pulled the trigger!! It all went well but there is a risk here.

Eldergeek wrote:Is there a reason you have the block flipped around?

I got my Apex in 1999 & it has evolved a bit since then. It is put together as per the manual & the stone shaft is aligned with the centre of the blade table.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:25 pm 

Did my mod today, what an improvement in angle variance , I've applied some PTFE lubricant to avoid wear,
This weekend I'll do a few knife to see if the edge improves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:59 pm 

Eldergeek wrote:Did my mod today, what an improvement in angle variance , I've applied some PTFE lubricant to avoid wear,
This weekend I'll do a few knife to see if the edge improves.

Great, I'm glad it went well and I'll be interested to hear how your weekend efforts go. In terms of lubricant I went back & forth. One extreme, use stones dry & the other extreme, use stones very wet - one extreme, use no lube & the other extreme, use a grease type lube. Gives you four extreme options.

Dry or very wet stones create grinding dust or grinding paste. No lube gives maybe some stiction? issues & grease seems to be a capture mechanism for the grinding dust / paste thus wearing away the moving parts.

So I wimped out & just keep the stones moist enough to capture any loose grinding dust, plus I use a silicon spray to clean & lube (I wipe any excess off the shaft & bushing).

Again, I'll be keen to hear how you get on with PTFE grease.

Cheers Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:43 pm 

It's not a grease but a spray lube I've used on seized bearings for 20+ years! I'm kinda carefull about water running down the shaft, did one knife today , and I've noticed an improvement! it's a 135mm carbon petty I touched up on the Shaptons 1K and 2k.

Thanks again for the mod idea!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next