It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chosera, Shapton, and Other Stones for EdgePro
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:42 am 

Another question about EP stone upgrades!

So here we go...I've got an APEX with all the stones (120, 220, 400, 600, 1000) and 2000 & 3000 grit polishing tape. I've gotten reasonably proficient on it, and am able to get almost any production knife sharper now than it was when brand new. I use the EP stones now starting between 120-1000 depending on the shape of the knife, work progressively through the increasingly finer stones, and finish at 2k or 3k polishing tape (which I find to work well, but be quite a pain). I find this gives me an edge I am very happy with as-is, and so I've not been stropping like I did prior to the polishing tape. So for my aftermarket stones, I want something that yields an equal or better job than the EP stones/polishing tape at finishing the razor edge.

Some of the features of the Choseras and Shaptons look appealing to me. For example, the fast speed of cutting, the wet-and-go feature of the Shaptons, a longer service life, (I killed a 400, 600, and 1000 EP stone in about 18 months), and many options with finer stones beyond 1000 grit to avoid the polishing tape.

So I ordered a 270mm Kono Fuji Blue #2 today, and I also purchased a 5k Chosera. I was about to purchase the set, but went for the more expensive gyuto at the last moment and so now they will have to wait. As a benefit, that gives me more time to pick your mind. My intent with this stone is to use it after the 1000 grit EP stone as the finishing stone that will eliminate the 2000 and 3000 grit polishing tap.

So for those using Shaptons, Choseras, and other brands, care to share some insight with me?
[list=]
-1-What makers/grits did you purchase?
-2-Do you skip grits as you go (ex: 1000-->5000 skipping a 2000 and 3000)?
-3-How fine do you take your final finish?
-4-Upon being finished with a 5k, 10k, 16k+ stone, do you find the knife still has that 'bite'? (that seems to come from microserrations?)
-5-Do you think the (less expensive) setup of using the factory EP stones to either 600 or 1000 and then continuing sharpening using the higher grit Chosera/Shaptons is a good setup? (ex: my intent to go directly from the EP 1000 stone to the Chosera 5000)[/list]

Thank you in advance! :)

Post subject: Re: Chosera, Shapton, and Other Stones for EdgePro
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:13 pm 

-1-What makers/grits did you purchase?

I purchased the Shapton Pro 220, 1000, 2000, 5000, 8000, and 15000 and the Chocera 400, 1000, 3000, 5000 and 10000. At the time, Shapton GlassStones were not available, or I might have bought those, too.

-2-Do you skip grits as you go (ex: 1000-->5000 skipping a 2000 and 3000)?

In the beginning I used every stone, especially when first sharpening a blade, but later just used a medium and fine grit - for example, the 1000 / 5000 for a sujihiki, or a 1000 / 3000 for a gyuto.

-3-How fine do you take your final finish?

When I started, all the way to 10000 or 15000. Later, only to 3000 / 5000.

-4-Upon being finished with a 5k, 10k, 16k+ stone, do you find the knife still has that 'bite'? (that seems to come from microserrations?)

No, and that's why I started going only to 3000 on gyutos.

-5-Do you think the (less expensive) setup of using the factory EP stones to either 600 or 1000 and then continuing sharpening using the higher grit Chosera/Shaptons is a good setup? (ex: my intent to go directly from the EP 1000 stone to the Chosera 5000)

Nothing wrong with that idea, except to mention that you should compensate for the varying thickness of the stones by using a stop collar. Look at some of Mad Rookie's posts about this.

Realize also that for a touchup, often all that is needed is the high grit stone unless there is edge damage that needs to be fixed. It's not necessary to start with the lowest grit stone each time you sharpen.

Post subject: Re: Chosera, Shapton, and Other Stones for EdgePro
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:52 pm 

Congrats on the Fuji. The thought of touching it with crap EP stones make me cringe like driving a new Ferrari through a gas station car wash.

I assume you're familiar with this;
the-grand-unified-grit-chart-t592-30.html

My lineup is always being tweaked. That's part of the fun. But the Shapton Pro 1K, 2K, 5K, 8K is my core. With knives such as the Fuji you should rarely if ever need anything coarser than the 1K or finer than the 8K.

Lose the polishing tapes and get 3M diamond lapping films. Type B are most durable. Maybe start with 1u (~16K Shapton) to try it out. These films don't just polish but also cut, making your edge sharper not just pretty. Plus, they seem to leave bite. If you like the films you can expand to higher grits (limited value) or lower grits where things get interesting and the films can replace stones in your lineup. If the glass plates are matched there is no readjusting the EP between films. Bonus!

Cheers,

Rick

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]