It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton Pro and Shapton Glass
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 pm 

I recently added a 1.5K Shapton Pro stone to my progression and it seemed to be far more efficient than my Shapton Glass stones in terms of generating a burr. It could just be me, but it felt like it was easier to run through my 1.5K progression with the Pro than my 1K progression with the Glass. Also, the edge seems a bit more aggressive with the pro. I was just curious if others noticed this as well and what some other differentiating factors may be.

For some context, I did a 500/1000 progression with Glass stones then on to 1.5K Pro and used a 6K glass as a finisher. This was done on Kono W#1 steel. Not sure if it is the steel, the heat treat, or what, but in my limited experience sharpening the thing took an amazing edge and each progression was a breeze vs. the other knives in my block

Post subject: Re: Shapton Pro and Shapton Glass
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:23 pm 

High carbon steels sharpen much faster and easier than their stainless brethren.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:27 pm 

otaku19 wrote:High carbon steels sharpen much faster and easier than their stainless brethren.

For sure, though I was really comparing it to some W#2 and proprietary carbon knives I've got. I was really quite blown away. Fun being a noob in that regard. Every new experience is a revelation. Very excited to get better at sharpening for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:35 am 

ChipB wrote: Very excited to get better at sharpening for sure.

That's what I love about the Edge Pro. I don't have the time it takes to refine a free-hand edge anywhere near what I can do on the EP!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:31 pm 

You have created a burr with your first stone. After that all your suppose to be doing is polishing the scratch pattern. So yes as you go up in stones, the burr will generate faster because you are thinning the apex.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]