It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro - Best Painter's Tape or Alternative?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 pm 

Spent the afternoon sharpening 30 knives with my Edge Pro Apex. I always apply blue painter's tape on the "table," which is the part where the side of the knife rests, to protect the knife from scratching, as recommended by the EP's manufacturer.

However, the tape never stays in place very long once it gets wet, requiring that I remove the old tape, dry the table, and apply new tape. A bit frustrating and a PITA.

Perhaps it's the cheap tape I'm using. Has anyone found a brand of painter's tape or some other type of tape that will stay in place even when wet?

~Voltaire

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro - Best Painter's Tape or Alternative?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:37 am 

Try using duct (duck) tape. Waterproof and the slick surface is much easier to keep clean.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:55 am 

I use the 2" wide Scotch Blue (Edge Lock). I get a longish piece and just have 1" of the width on the table with the other 1" overhanging, then I cut the tape at the corners and fold the sides in across the back of the Edge Pro and then fold the 1" flap down over the back of the Edge Pro over the two sides I have just folded in. This should stop any water getting under the tape. Having said that I don't think I have sharpened 30 knives period let alone in an afternoon so not sure if will work for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:17 am 
Forum Moderator

RDCollins wrote:Spent the afternoon sharpening 30 knives with my Edge Pro Apex. I always apply blue painter's tape on the "table," which is the part where the side of the knife rests, to protect the knife from scratching, as recommended by the EP's manufacturer.

However, the tape never stays in place very long once it gets wet, requiring that I remove the old tape, dry the table, and apply new tape. A bit frustrating and a PITA.

Perhaps it's the cheap tape I'm using. Has anyone found a brand of painter's tape or some other type of tape that will stay in place even when wet?

Wow, 30 knives in one afternoon with the EP - you are good!!

I clean my blade table & dry it thoroughly before applying a fresh piece of painters tape - have had no problems with the normal blue painters tape coming off....????

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:21 pm 

Well, to be truthful most of the 30 were just touch-ups, and the total included some steak knives.

In any case, my painter's tape doesn't stay on very long, so maybe I'll try a different brand or switch to duct tape.

~Voltaire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

...well to be quite honest, my painters tape does not last 30 knives - I would reckon about 5 knives or so...... albeit doing them over a number of weeks..... damn but you are a busy bee....!!!!!

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:55 pm 

More like mildly insane. Wife left me home alone, so I got out the Edge Pro to sharpen my new cleaver. Once I finished that, I figured that since I had already started making a mess, I might as well sharpen a few other knives, then a few more, etc. etc. Altogether it took over three hours of steady work, and I was mentally and physically shot by the end. OCD is a terrible thing.

~Voltaire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

hahah. I get sleepy if I do more than a few at a time. I'm really bad at repetitive tasks and I always have to do short bursts of work and then jump to the next task before my mind starts wondering and I lose concentration. Fortunately my job entails about 50 different tasks and constant interruptions so it keeps me bouncing around and that's the way I like it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:21 am 

The blue scotch painters tape didn't work very well for me either. I went out and bought the green Frogtape since it is supposed to seal the tape edges. That worked a little better than the blue painters tape. So I tried some orange duct tape that I already have. That worked better than either painters tapes but still not good enough. So I purchased some Scotch "tough" duct tape and it is the winner for me. It's a clear tape with some white fibers running through. I've had that tape on my EP for about 6 months now. There is some wear on the tape due to friction. So maybe it's time to replace the tape.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]