It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: new to knife sharpening
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:54 pm 

New being never done it before and no equipment. Currently have anryu, masakage yuki, wusthof and shun. Was thinking of going with the edge pro rather than the manual method to start. Any thoughts? Stones most often recommended have been the shaptons. Have some cutco knives i can use to practice on

Post subject: Re: new to knife sharpening
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:11 pm 

Consider if you just have dull knives or have damaged knives. if you have lots of chips to work through invest in a good low grit stone/diamond to do the heavy lifting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 pm 

Just dull knives at this point. I try and be very careful not to chip. Sharpening to me is maintenance. Chipoing is repair.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:35 pm 

IMHO, you can't do any better than the Edge Pro Essential Set plus the Angle Cube

Just add additional stones as you need/want them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:42 pm 

Am thinking edge pro too, at least until i get some practice under my belt and then try manual method. Advantage to edge pro is angle consistency. Advantage to manual is perhaps a better edge and sharpness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:22 pm 

I can hand sharpen if absolutely necessary. I prefer the Edge Pro because I am much more consistent with it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm 

Consistency is its biggest advantage. With the edge pro you can choose from 4 or 5 different angles. How does thst work when the sharpening angles are rarely given for the knives ir does.it really even matter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:12 pm 

The Edge Pro can be set to an infinite number of different angles.

The Edge Pro has 5 marked angles - just paint marks on the vertical rod. The adjustment can be set to any point in-between the marks. Or for that matter, even some distance beyond the paint marks.

To match an existing angle use the sharpie trick. Mark the knife's edge with a sharpie. Make a light pass with a high grit (4000) stone. See where the sharpie's mark has been removed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:19 am 

I've been sharpening for a lot of years and gone through all the fazes of gadgets, jigs, machines etc. Although I would love to one day be able to justify an Edge Pro professional there really is nothing better than learning to sharpen freehand. Four stones, strop, something to flatten the stones, stone holder and sink bridge all together are close to the same price as an Edge Pro setup. Get yourself some beater knives and go after it until the light bulb goes on in your head. Once you get freehand sharpening down then maybe get yourself an Edge Pro. Having gone through the learning process of freehand sharpening you'll know more and appreciate the benefits.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:01 am 

dougmc wrote:IMHO, you can't do any better than the Edge Pro Essential Set plus the Angle Cube

Just add additional stones as you need/want them.

^^^+1 to dougmc recommendation.

I have both freehand stones and a edgepro with a variety of stones. For me personally I am much more consistent and can turn out a better product off the edge pro. My freehand skills are coming along though. The edge pro has a learning curve to itself, it's easy to use but you will learn tricks and techniques and get better results the more you use it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next