It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro for Japanese knives such as Takeda's etc
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:45 pm 

Hi All, Just wondering if this is a huge sin to use either of the Edge Pro model's for these knives? Or am I better off learning to use waterstones?

Regard's,
Alex

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro for Japanese knives such as Takeda's etc
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:39 am 

The only knives where EP is less than ideal are single bevels.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:04 am 

It's not a mortal sin, just a venial one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:31 am 

I certainly do not think so. I prefer to use the method which yields the best & sharpest edge, with the least amount of effort. So I go for the EdgePro as I can get knives sharper on that than I can with other sharpening methods. I think it also puts the knife on a very consistent angle which is easier to touchup between sharpening with a strop or ultra fine ceramic hone. I also like the EP for protecting finer knives from damage in regards to the (not many) knives I worry about messing up the cosmetic finish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've used the EP Apex on my friend's two Takeda knives. I had to go to a very low angle to match the factory edge bevel, but the Takeda AS steel sharpened up very nicely w/the EP. Did a Shapton GS 500, 1K, 4K progression. That included taking out a few small chips on the edges.

I protect both sides of the blade w/blue painters' tape from the spine to about 2/3 of the way to the edge to keep from scratching the sides on the EP blade table. It's worth a extra couple of minutes for this step.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:31 pm 

Thank's for the advice, are the ceramic steel's a worthwhile add on, for the harder Japanese knives to maintain the edge between sharpening?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

To be honest, for a Takeda, with AS steel that can be a little more on the brittle side, I'd use a strop of some kind, like horse butt leather. Stropping is more gentle on knife edges than a ceramic hone, where all the force is concentrated on a tiny part of the blade where it touches the rod when honing.

This is a really nice combo: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/2piecestropset.html. The 11" length is great for longer knives. Once stropping doesn't bring the edge back, it's time to touch up the edge on your EP w/the highest grit stone you finished with last time you sharpened it. When that doesn't work, or if you have some smaller chips on the edge, you can go back to the EP starting w/middle grit stones and perform a bigger refresh on the edge bevel, exposing fresh metal. The goal is to remove as little metal as possible, to extend the life of your knife. Strops really help in this area.

If you do decide to use a ceramic rod, like the Idahone Fine Ceramic: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html, use VERY gentle pressure. Just the weight of the blade, if that (if you're going horizontal as I show in the video).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 pm 

To your original question about sharpening on the EP or water stones. The EP has a HUGE selection of water stones and even JNats (Japanese Naturals).
There are many outstanding free hand sharpeners here on the site that can give you excellent advice but I'll stick with my EPP. Heck! I have picked up a lot of great advice that applies to both methods.
If I have a knife where the edge rolls (gets dull) too quickly, I can change the angle from 16° to 17°, 18° or even 16.5°.
I'll never free hand sharpen enough knives to get that accuracy.
I'm not saying that it can't be done but I won't be the one to reach that level.
Your choice to do whatever gives you the most satisfaction because they both work.

Douglas
Lovin' my EPP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:44 pm 

Thank's for the info,sound's like stropping is definitely the way to go,is it a similar story for german knives?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:09 am 

German knives are not hardened like Japanese knives are. They are on the softer side and their edges tend to roll. You could use a steel rod to straighten the edge back up before sharpening. The ceramic rod will remove metal, but should give you a fresh edge with just a few passes.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]