It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grit progression
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:49 pm 

I was looking at getting an atoma 140 for profiling. I have the shapton 500, is this too high of a next step and do I need something like the shapton 220 or maybe the atoma 400.

Also, is the atoma that much better then the CKTG diamond plate?

thanks

Post subject: Re: Grit progression
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:22 am 

Hi Joe, not that I have an Atoma 140 (I use a 3M 120), but the general feeling is that the Atoma leaves pretty deep scratches and the usual recommendation is to follow the 140 with a stone of roughly the same grit rating eg a Nubatama 150 or similar.

HTH

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:29 am 

For $8.95 (unmounted)... I'd be trying the CKTG plate :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:28 am 

If you're placing a new edge bevel on a blade with an Atoma 140, or similar, the Shapton 500 is OK for the job. Just enough to reestablish the scratch pattern if you want to end up with a coarse finish. But if you are looking for a mirror finish you will have to spend a great deal of time on the 500. That's why the Nubatama 150 gets the nod as the following stone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:55 pm 

I have the diamond CKTG plate and it works really well. I just ordered the shapton 220 as the next step up. Hopefully this will be enough. I read good things about the shapton 220 as a reprofiling stone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:32 pm 

I use the Atoma 140 for reprofiling (taking out nicks) and setting new bevels; I follow with a Shapton Glass 220 to starting taking out those scratches, then jump up to 600 followed by 1K and on up for a mirror finish. By the time I finish w/10K it looks fine :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]