It is currently Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What accessories should I add to the Essential Kit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Hello, I searched through the forum and was unable to find an answer to a couple of questions. I have your Edge Pro Essential kit in the cart, but would like to know if I need a few more accessories before ordering. I am a home chef and mainly have all Wusthof Classic Ikon knives along with some Japanese styles (Gyuto and Santoku), such as a Kikuichi Warikomi Damascus Gyuto (which, frankly, the thought of sharpening it scares the crap out of me).

1. Is the final 4k stone on the essentials kit good enough or should I consider an EP strop? I’m not clear on if a strop is more of a cosmetic “polish” thing or if it actually imparts a better edge. If a strop is that much better then what is best to go with the bark leather and a compound or the EP polishing tapes? If the leather strop, then what type and compound do I get to follow up after that 4k stone? I noticed the green bottle CO stuff is out of stock.

2. Will I be able to sharpen my Wusthof Classic Ikon steak knives without needing the smaller plate? They are ¾” width

Thanks,
Jarrett

Chefknivestogo on Instagram
Chefknivestogo on Twitter
Chefknivestogo on Youtube

Post subject: Re: What accessories should I add to the Essential Kit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jarrett,

1. I think the 4K is plenty fine for most people and you don't need anything finer than that. A 4K edge will shave once you get the hang of the machine. If you want to add one more item I would suggest the 8K stone. You can use that for a final polish on your edges or for quick touch ups. I prefer to free hand strop my knives since it's quick and easy so opt for the 8K over a strop until you get the hang of the machine or don't add anything to the set. The only other item I think would really help you is a flattening plate. I like this one very much for flattening all my stones: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/at14dipl.html

2. You shouldn't need the skinny stones for your Wusthof Ikon steak knives. They have a tapered bolster with no finger guard so they're pretty simply to sharpen.

Good luck! If you have other questions once you use the machine please come back here and ask us. We'll be more than happy to help you.

Chefknivestogo on Instagram
Chefknivestogo on Twitter
Chefknivestogo on Youtube

Post subject: Re: What accessories should I add to the Essential Kit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:48 am 

With regard to Q.2 if you mean the EdgePro small knife attachment then I find that helps more if the blade is short rather than thin. The standard blade guide on my EdgePro Professional will allow me to sharpen small petty/paring knives fairly easily. I find I only use the small knife attachment if the blade length is under 3.5-4" or so.

Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]