It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2nd knife
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:58 am 

Ok, so what started out as thinking gee, I really could use a sharper knife, has snowballed into getting an electric sharpener, freehand stones, and now an EP. (Apparently I'm not the only one who gets a little obsessed with this kinda stuff though :)). I just did what seemed like an ok job on an a cheap, made-in-china Henckel's steak knife. I'm really tempted to try my only nice knife, a Suien vc cleaver.

I'm pretty sure I understand how to use the angle cube. Zero out on the blade table and measure the angle of the arm with a stone on the knife. And to get the offset from the blade bevel, zero out on the blade face and measure on the blade table and divide that number by 2. (if I'm missing something please tell me)

So for a knife like that, would I want to start at 15* looking for the precise angle with a sharpie? Also the type of steel is described only as "virgin carbon steel," which seems a little vague to me compared to specific formulations like zdp-189 and vg-10. But it's supposed to be HRC ~ 61. Should that change my approach at all?

I see some guys sharpening keeping the range of the arm very narrow and moving the knife, and other guys trying to span the entire blade with a single stroke. Is one way better than the other?

The cleaver was the sharpest knife I've ever had out of the box, including the cheap knives I'd tried to sharpen with the electric and on stones. And it's only a little duller than that now, so I'm a bit worried about dulling it up with incompetence. But the ep does seem like it should be pretty idiot proof. Should I go for it, or get a little more practice in?

Sorry for rambling. :o

Oh, also noticed that sometimes the suction cups can come up a bit and screw up your angle measurements if you're not watching.

Post subject: Re: 2nd knife
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:50 pm 

You didn't mention which stones you have available. Typically if I'm happy with the edge on a blade I don't take it to the stones, but in situations where you just feel you need to do a little something like touching up a new OOTB edge I'd start with one of your finer grits just to polish things up a bit. I'd suggest you do this; use the sharpie trick to find the current angle, then measure it with the angle cube and write it down. Next time you sharpen it set the angle to that same measurement. Use the angle cube for this type of effort and when / if you get to a point where you want to change the current edge º, then you can use the method you outlined in your post to make sure it's exactly the angle you want.

I don't own a cleaver and never have, but in general yes the 15º mark is a good place to start for japanese knives.

Telecide wrote: I see some guys sharpening keeping the range of the arm very narrow and moving the knife, and other guys trying to span the entire blade with a single stroke. Is one way better than the other?

Just follow the usage methods in Ben Dale's videos with regard to moving the stone arm. No need to get fancy right now.

Post subject: Re: 2nd knife
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:51 pm 

Thanks! I got the full Monty one so I have the shaptons and a strop. I'll try maybe the 8k and find the angle for future reference. I've had some trouble using the marker trick on my cheaper knives because the edge bevel is so small. The suien should be easier hopefully. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]