It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Advice please stopping on edge pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 pm 

Can someone please explain to an idiot like me how to strop on the edge pro?

Specifically, what to set the angle/arm on.
This would be for a brand new Kohetsu Aogami Super Gyuto 210mm. I have only used it for 5 min in the kitchen. I have not sharpened and do not plan to sharpen it for a few months. so do I use the sharpie trick.

Any recommendations on EP specific strops or paste are welcome.

Thanks

El

Post subject: Re: Advice please stopping on edge pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Final stropping with a stone on the EP should be done edge leading......

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rook - not to question, but don't you mean edge trailing? Or do you only do edge trailing with actual strops like balsa, leather, etc. that will be cut doing edge leading strokes? Just clarifying. If you do edge leading w/stone stropping, I'm going to start trying that also :-). What says the master or all things EP?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

El - do you have an Angle Cube? You can paint the edge with Sharpie and use a high grit stone to find the best angle to match the edge bevel, then raise the the angle just a tad and strop w/your high grit stone. For me, it's the Shapton GS 4K.

The Angle Cube will allow you measure that angle and repeat in the future. Also, don't be surprised if the angle changes a bit when you switch sides, either from the grind of the blade not being perfectly symmetrical, or the edge bevel itself not being ground at the same angle on each side.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:50 am 
Forum Moderator

SteveG wrote:Rook - not to question, but don't you mean edge trailing? Or do you only do edge trailing with actual strops like balsa, leather, etc. that will be cut doing edge leading strokes? Just clarifying. If you do edge leading w/stone stropping, I'm going to start trying that also :-). What says the master or all things EP?

Nope - edge leading.

Ben Dale advocates this method to abraid the micro bur instead of flipping it all the time....

I used to do edge trailing strokes but since trying edge leading, my edges have been elevated to another dimension.

Very, very light pressure though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:51 am 

Well I recommend Nanocloth or Kangaroo strops , before I can recommend compound what is your finest stone?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rook - thanks for the info! I will try that, although my highest grit EP stone is a 4K Shapton GS. I don't have those cool high grit stones you and Sadden keep in your kit :-).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:26 pm 

MadRookie wrote:
SteveG wrote:Rook - not to question, but don't you mean edge trailing? Or do you only do edge trailing with actual strops like balsa, leather, etc. that will be cut doing edge leading strokes? Just clarifying. If you do edge leading w/stone stropping, I'm going to start trying that also :-). What says the master or all things EP?

Nope - edge leading.

Ben Dale advocates this method to abraid the micro bur instead of flipping it all the time....

I used to do edge trailing strokes but since trying edge leading, my edges have been elevated to another dimension.

Very, very light pressure though.

Can you explain what is edge leading while using the edge pro? Does it it mean going from heel to tip?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

No, it just means pushing the stone towards the edge to the spine of the blade, picking up the stone off the knife moving back into position and repeating. So it's not a back & forth on the steel motion - you're just abrading in one direction only. Edge trailing strokes are just the opposite - pulling the stone from the spine to the edge direction, then lifting, resetting and repeating. All the while during the strokes on the blade, you'll gradually move from heel to tip or vice versa, whichever is your preference.

Edge trailing strokes are a necessity with most stropping materials like balsa and leather since edge leading strokes will cause the blade to cut into the material.

You can apply the same concept to free hand sharpening as well. You'll just pick up the knife and move it to reset your position for additional edge leading or edge trailing strokes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:53 pm 

Wow! Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next