It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to get rid of my scratches on the edge?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, I just got the atoma 140 and shapeton glass 500, 1k, 2k 4k, 8k edge pro plates.

When I get up to 8k I start seeing old scratches. I'm guessing from the atoma 140?

I tried to spend a lot of time with the shapeton 500 but I'm wondering if there is another stone I can use in between?

I read the nubatma 150 was good but its out of stock.

What about the shapeton glass 220 or 320?

Is there another stone you would recommend to go in between the atoma 140 and the shapeton glass 500?

Thanks
Mike

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: How to get rid of my scratches on the edge?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

Use a magnifier and check after each stone (or diamond plate) to make sure the deeper scratches of the previous stone are removed before you move up in grit. It's common to rush through the progression of your stones too quickly and this will cause you to leave behind some scratches. The 320 would be a good choice for you in your current line up to help make it easier for you to get out the 140 atoma scratches.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:51 pm 

Mike,

I would hold out until the Bamboo 150 becomes available. Not only does it excel as a follow up to the Atoma, it is a great cutter in its own right.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:26 am 

Like Mark has mentioned you can't move to the next stone in grit progression until all the scratches have been removed from the previous stone. Your scratches you see not be all entirely made by your first stone. Have you tried stropping? even when I am going for a mirror polish on my knife blades, I will still see scratches until I buff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Some 150 Nubatama Bamboos are on their way to Mark. It really is a perfect solution to this problem. I recommend this stone a lot for the EP and full sized - whether you have a Shapton pro or Glassstone set, all Nubatamas or some other mix of stones. It 'converts' those diamond scratches very effectively into 'stone scratches' quickly.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]