It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge pro questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark / Susan,

I received the Konosuke HD 210mm knife last week and I now understand why they are so well thought of - a real pleasure to use!

Please accept my apologies in advance for the basic questions I am about to ask you, I have spent a few hours of interesting reading on your forums, but can't quite find what I am looking for as an absolute beginner at knife sharpening.

I purchased an edge pro apex 4 direct from the supplier, (so with just the stock stones) which I am sure will be perfect for my needs. From the online videos and reading the forum I think I have a reasonable understanding on how to sharpen a knife using the system.

What I am not sure of is where to start with the knifes I currently have...i.e. I have a Shun premier 8" chefs knife which is only had very light use over a few weeks, it can cut paper but not in the same league as the Konosuke. if I wanted to sharpen this knife further, should I start with the EP 1000 stone then polishing tapes? Or a lower stone? What I don't want is my inexperience making the knife worse...

Similar sitution for a couple of other knives I have, relatively new, quite sharp but not as sharp as the Konosuke (maybe that's not the knive's fault).

Perhaps I only need to strop them for now? I have the shun premier steel, which I have only used once and very lightly, but I don't think it made any real difference. I think I will order a balsa strop for the EP + a few other bits and pieces the guys on the forum keep mentioning. Which of the pastes would you recommend?

Do you have a standard practice for looking after new knives using the EP?

I also have a very old victorinox 8" chefs knife, which has been badly abused, chipped and even bent edge in places. I tried to sharpen this using all of the stones in a progression, but it was still bad. Maybe it needs alot more time on the 120 stone? Or maybe just thrown in the bin, since these knives are quite cheap to buy new here in New Zealand.

Again, apologies for the simple questions and if I have overlooked the answers in the forums somewhere.

Best regards,
Aaron

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Edge pro questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Aaron,

No, you should run through your whole progression of stones when you sharpen your knives. It will save you time and effort. Practice a few times on a knife you don't care about until you get the hang of it. Grind the edge on your roughest stone until you get a burr and then flip it over and do the other side. Then work somewhat quickly through the rest of your stones and tapes. I recommend you use a drill stop collar to make sure each stone is being adjusted for thickness. This won't be a problem on your first few knives but the low grit stones wear much more quickly than the high grit stones. You can find it on this page: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edgeprosets.html

Feel free to come back with more questions after trying the machine a few times. If you like the machine you may want to try upgrading the stones down the road. The shapton glass stones are superior to the stock edge pro stones. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shprostforep.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Edge pro questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:05 pm 

Yeah start coarse, just check for a burr and stop with that stone once it forms along the whole length of the blade. That is the beauty of the EP. You can observe and work different areas of the blades apex to achieve this. If every knife were ground perfect you wouldn't have to worry about it. That's not the case, and why some knife makes don't like fixed angle sharpeners.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]