It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Which Edge pro for home user?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hello

I'm interested in purchasing an Edge Pro Apex kit.

Which Edge Pro Apex kit do you recommend for me? I will be buying a Masamoto VG gyuto chef's knife. I want to be able to maintain it with a sharp edge for cooking at home. I'm not a professional chef. Nor do I plan to be entering any knife entering contests, or sharpening other peoples' knives professionally, or inspecting my knives with a microscope. I just want to be able to maintain my own chef's knife for high performance in the kitchen. I am pondering the #3 kit, or the custom Chosera. What do you recommend?

Thanks so much!
Dzung

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Which Edge pro for home user?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hello

We do ship to your country and the shopping cart will give you an accurate shipping quote based on the weight of the items and your address. All you need to do is place the items in the cart, put your shipping address in the fields and choose "International" for the shipping method and then hit the "Apply" button.

We ship via USPS Priority International Mail. We also put 1/2 the value on the invoice to lessen any customs you may be charged. If you have different instructions for us please write them in the "Comments" box during the checkout process.

I like the Edge Pro essential set with the shapton glass stones. They are the best stones on the market for the edge pro and that set is all you need to get screaming sharp edges.
Edge Pro Essential Set

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:52 am 

Get the Shapton glass stone set, easy to maintain, good cutting and splash and go. Don't forget to add diamond plate for lapping stones, repairing chips and re-profiling. A good strop with compound and steel are also essential too in my opinion.
Good luck..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:16 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:...
Nor do I plan to be ... inspecting my knives with a microscope.

OK, I know inspecting with a microscope seems a bit excessive. But, especially for the newbie, it is an easy way to judge your progress and to figure out what is wrong with the edge.

A scope will show you
1 - a good burr does not necessarily mean all the scratches from the previous stone have been removed
2 - if the scratches are going all the way to the edge.
3 - how consistently smooth the edge really is, i.e., where are the edge's problem areas

The video "The Secret To Improving Your Razor And Knife Edges" is an excellent explanation of the benefits and use of a microscope:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:18 pm 

Never used a microscope and never will. I get my knives SCREAMING sharp with out one. I will guarantee you more pros don't use one than do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 pm 

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I suspect most pros don't use a Edge Pro Apex.

Doesn't that mean the Edge Pro Apex is not an excellent choice for the home user?

My experience in other fields is most pros are open to and are willing to experiment with new techniques.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:18 am 

Who or what is a pro..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:32 am 
Forum Moderator

I do not consider myself a "Pro".

In the beginning I worked without a microscope - also got my edges screaming sharp, but....

When I got my Veho and started inspecting edges before, during and after sharpening, it delivered a totally new dimension to the game!

Progress, scratch patterns, micro chips, bevel formation et. etc. comes alive under the microscope and makes one understand better what exactly is happening at the edge during the process.

Admittedly I do not use the microscope all the time, but when I do, it is really a pleasure viewing the transformation.

Get one if you can.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:56 am 

I have a microscope , but its not zooming in well at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm 

noneck180 wrote:Who or what is a pro..

That is an excellent question. http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... tid/934352 is a long thread discussing varying meanings of pro and professional. It's way beyond my abilities to summarize. As long the term "quality" is in the definition, I believe my previous post will stand.

Among the handful of "outstanding in their field" people I have known, curiosity and humility seem to be essential qualities. Yea, MadRookie I'm thinking of you.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next