It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: shapton stones - first use
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:37 pm 

hey everyone. first post here. this is a really great forum.

i have a package arriving tomorrow. i bought from CKTG the edge pro essentials kit, plus a 220 GS and a 8k GS. i would like to know if i need to flatten the shapton stones for the edge pro before their first use.

also, how about the nubatamas for the edge pro? i will probably get some of those in the near future, and was wondering the same thing.

thank you.

Post subject: Re: shapton stones - first use
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:18 pm 

Hi:
You can check to see if they are flat by laying the stone against the metal backing of another stone and hold it up to a light. If it's flat you are good to go, if not flatten.

If you don't have one get an angle cube, it is the single best accessory I have purchased for the Edge Pro. The stones will wear at varying rates and you must compensate to keep the angle of attack constant.

Hope you enjoy the Shaptons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 pm 

thanks for the reply.

i already have an angle cube and definitely plan on using it with the EP. thanks on the tip about checking the stones' flatness. i was mostly curious if they are supposed to be flat when new, or is some variation in flatness to be expected with the new shapton GS, and nubatama stones, for the EP.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:34 pm 

Hi:
My Shaptons and Numbatamas have all been flat out of the box.
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 am 

Same here, Shapton GS have been just fine out of the box (Sample size of 3)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 am 
Forum Moderator

398 <> I don't have an EP, but I flatten every stone I buy. I mean you never know if they're flat until you test them to confirm their flat regardless of if you grind them or not. If not, then flatten... if so, then don't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:20 am 

For all intents and purposes, all my Shaptons have been flat. The thickness displayed a slight gradient from one end to another of maybe 10 thou. (Hey, I didn't buy that digital micrometer just as a centerpiece for the dining room table!) Nothing you're gonna solve by traditional flattening, so don't get all crazy about it. And I'm guessing that any thickness delta comes from the vagarities of the glue.

My one Nubatama was noticably laterally skew, maybe 5 degrees side to side. Again, no worries, since the EP just rotates it into place.

Trust me, upon arrival these stones will be in the best condition they will ever be.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:34 am 

thanks for all the valuable insight.

pat

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]