It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nubatama stones for the EP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 am 

I looked everywhere but haven't find the thickness of the Nubatama stones for the EP mentioned. Are they as thick as the SGs, or thinner? I have Choseras, and they are about 1/2 of the SGs size, but I have no clue what the thickness of the Nubatama stones are? :?:

Post subject: Re: Nubatama stones for the EP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:16 pm 

I have the Nubatama 150, 1000 and 4000 edge pro stones and love them all.

They are 10mm total thickness when new, 3mm backing plate/mount and 7mm of stone.

CKTG was out of stock on 1 or 2 of them when I ordered so I got them direct from Ken Schwartz. Send him an email (pretty close to your username!)

ksskss@earthlink.net

He's a great guy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:31 pm 

Thx for the reply. I know KS is a nice guy, I love watching his videos about free hand sharpening. But every stone has a size mentioned, save the Nubatamas for the EP. Is good to know that the Nubatams are pretty much close to the SG stones.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

I cut all of my stones thick even the Choceras. This includes ALL of the Bamboo and Ume stones as well as my Shapton Pros, Japanese naturals, suehiro 20k green bricks, Arkansas stones, European stones,etc etc. These are about 2x the thickness of standard ep stones.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

We just got a bunch and they're sitting on my desk next to my caliper. Each one is different but here is a sample:

120 bamboo: 6.4mm
180 bamboo:7.3mm
220 bamboo: 6.1mm
600 bamboo: 1 of them is 9mm and the other is 7.1mm
2K bamboo: 7.3mm
3K bamboo: 6.9mm
4K bamboo: 6.7mm
5K bamboo: 6.4mm
10K bamboo: 7.3mm
15K bamboo: 9.1mm

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:21 pm 

ken123 wrote:I cut all of my stones thick even the Choceras. This includes ALL of the Bamboo and Ume stones as well as my Shapton Pros, Japanese naturals, suehiro 20k green bricks, Arkansas stones, European stones,etc etc. These are about 2x the thickness of standard ep stones.

---
Ken

Really? When I purchased the 3 Choceras from here... 1K, 5K, and the 10K they were around 1/8 thick....or, about half the size of a SG. They cut real fast, unfortunately, the 1K cracked after the 2nd use, and the 5K cracked after the 4th use. At that time I didn't know why they cracked, I was well aware of not soaking them...heck, the 1K cracked out of nowhere. I finished sharpening a knife, used about 4-7 minutes) and was about to clean them, and I noticed right away the hairline crack under the metal swarf. But the 5K cracked in 3 parts, unlike the 1K which cracked about the 1/3 mark of the stone.

Now, I still use them, even though they are cracked, they still sharpen very well. But the 10K had no issues whatsoever. I talked to Douglas about it, and he was under the impression that they cracked b/c I did not flatten them after every use. Still the 1K cracked after the 2nd use, which was unfortunate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:19 am 

KSST>
I don't recall that being part of our conversation.
Which is good because it makes no sense whatsoever.

Douglas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:16 am 

Sharp Knives wrote:KSST>
I don't recall that being part of our conversation.
Which is good because it makes no sense whatsoever.

Douglas

You might not recall that part of our conversation, but I do. After I told you that 2 of the stones cracked, it was you who asked me about flattening my stone, to which I replied that I didn't think it was necessary, after just one use. Then you gave me an advice to flatten the stones after each use, and I do that ever since. Now, this was just part of our speculations, nothing more. The only difference compared to other stones was that these 2 stones weren't pre soaked like those. But they still cracked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:41 pm 

Yes I suggested to flatten the stones after use but that didn't relate that to cracking.

Douglas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:40 am 

Question, with thinner stones is there a difference if you flatten the stone with the diamond plate (or whatever) flattening from the top or is it better with thin stones to move the stone over the flattening plate?

Jack

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next