It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro Professionals Now Available
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Up until now, Ben would only sell the Pro model via direct sale but he's had a change of heart and asked us if we would like to be a Pro dealer. Since we get constant questions about offering the Pro version with our Shapton and Chosera stones this was kind of a no brainer. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproprse.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro Professionals Now Available
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:42 pm 

Mark. What's the difference between the Pro Pro and the non pro one?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Maui - I'd just go to the EP site: http://www.edgeproinc.com/. They have info on the differences between the Apex and the Pro models.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:36 pm 

SteveG wrote:Maui - I'd just go to the EP site: http://www.edgeproinc.com/. They have info on the differences between the Apex and the Pro models.

Yep...makes sense :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nicely done Mark!

This should be very successful! Many of my EP customers use this unit and really appreciate the difference.

Now we need a Nubatama 'set' to go with it!

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:36 am 

SteveG wrote:Maui - I'd just go to the EP site: http://www.edgeproinc.com/. They have info on the differences between the Apex and the Pro models.

I've been looking for years but still can't see a list of actual differences!

From comparing the pages on their site it looks like the Pro is triple the price, can be set to a lower angle more easily and it has a different style of base, but is that it?

The only point of comparison I see is on the main page description of the Pro where it says:

"The only hand sharpening system that is powerful and fast enough to use for commercial sharpening."

Is the Pro more powerful and faster than the Apex? If so, how and why?

I may have just missed the page that does explain the differences though?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:22 pm 

The Pro version has a Panavice(sp?) suction vice to hold the unit to your mounting surface-like your countertop and stays consistent in your angle reference while the APEX's suction cups raise up aas you use the device. This means that you have to re-calibrate the angle cube to the blade table each time you change stones because the suction cups hav raised a little bit. Not a big deal but it bothered me.
The blade table on the Pro is wider so I find it easier to hold the knife steady while sharpening.
The Pro is made from different plastic and is heavier and sturdier....not that the APEX ix flimsy, just a bit less sturdy as it's lighter.

Having said that, there have been times when I clean up only to find that the base of the Pro is no longer stuck to the countertop but my reference angle never changed.... Oh yeah ,I use light strokes. :mrgreen:

The APEX is a great tool and it was the first EP I bought but I'm happy that I got the Pro with the scissor attachment over two years ago.

+1 on a Nubatama set

Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:34 pm 

Thanks for the info Douglas :)

I dislike the suction cups on the Apex, as you say it does move sometimes. I plan to rigidly mount the Pro to a solid platform, might do it this weekend. I don't travel with it.

The add on scissor attachment does seem very valuable too.

I've been quite impressed with my Nubatama 150, 1k and 4k stones for the EP (and my full size Nubatama stones too for that matter).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:22 pm 

I've never had issue with the Apex suction cups moving as long as I wet and secure them prior to each sharpening session. The PanaVice is a quality piece of kit though.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]