It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Magnet - how strong
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:08 pm 

I was reading a few threads where people are putting magnets on EP to help holding the knife in position.

Anybody who tried this, how strong the magnet should be? I was thinking that if the magnet is too strong there will be issues in moving the knife on EP. On the other hand, not strong one will not hold the knife well...

I am now looking for a magnets and I see I can get anything from 5 lbs to 15 lbs of pull.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Post subject: Re: Magnet - how strong
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:28 pm 

Mark sells a magnet that is perfect for the Apex:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tamaforedpro.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:10 am 

I havn't used a magnet but have had thoughts on it... think it would be good, but I havent bothered :oops:
Anyways. Thing about magnets is, in a case like this, you can't go too strong really. Add a bit more distance and power is decreased. You can increase the distance but cant strengthen the magnet. But thats the extent of my advice as I dont have a magnet.
Thats my 2 very worthless cents.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:17 pm 

I use 2 of those on my EP. One magnet didn't give me sufficient hold. They really help with stability. The only downside is that it does take a few more seconds to move the blade around. That doesn't bother me, at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:43 pm 

Hello all, Just curious. Do these magnets work as well on the Edge Pro Professional?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:19 pm 

I use 2 magnets on the EP Apex. Really makes a difference for me. Be sure to tape the blade because grit plus magnetic force equals scratches.

Folks have installed magnets on the EP Pro but it requires shenanigans to embed the magnets into the blade table.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:35 pm 

Thanks Rick. Anyone else?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:10 pm 

How it works is just about ease of installation on apex vs pro (or magnet strength, more powerful magnet can equal less work) concept is exactly the same in terms of use, there is no difference.

Do you find a bit of an issue keeping the blade stable on the table even after practice? the magnets can be a boon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:02 am 

@gladius: buying the ones from CNTG is not an option for me unfortunately. Shipping to Europe would be too expensive. I will buy them locally, hence the reason for asking about the pull...

@Arlius: I keep the blade pretty stable, more problematic on longer knives towards the tip... This is why I would like to try magnet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:30 am 

Go for it then. When installing to start, I would go for stronger magnets and less depth? might save you buying more magnets. the magnet doesnt need to be any stronger than offsetting your technique though... but too strong will hamper moving it around. Ya Im not helping much.... lol

Can you bring a knife to a store with your apex?

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next