It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Uneven Bevel
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:15 pm 

I'm getting better, however I just sharpened a Sabatier and one side's edge is a little wider than the other. Is it ok to start over with lower grit stone and just sharpen the narrow side until the bevels match? Then proceed with the stone progression?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Uneven Bevel
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 pm 

As the traditional French are never exactly symmetric you can't expect the bevels to be identical. Thin them on both sides right behind the edge and both bevels will be very, very small.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:43 am 
Forum Moderator

First use the knife. If it doesn't veer to one side when cutting, just enjoy it as is and 'balance' it next time you sharpen. If it does steer, correct it as needed using the technique you are describing.

Realize that since you now have an edge that you will get burr almost immediately at your coarsest grit and going forward so burr management is worth paying a bit more attention to.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:59 pm 

OK, thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot. I'll keep at it 'til I get it right. It's kinda nice to occasionally have an "aha" moment. I don't think I really stayed with the course stone long enough to begin with, though. I began sharpening at 18*, which is probably an actual 16-17 counting the overhang, so it may be I needed a few more minutes. The knife was probably at 20*-21* plus it had been previously sharpened on a commercial three-hole Chef's Choice. Thanks again, folks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]